2002 Léoville Barton

Last night. This is a seamless, surprisingly opulent Léoville Barton, with layers of black fruits, spices and herbs. Impressive elegance and length. An irresistible touch of barnyard in the background underlines the classic character of this seamless Saint-Julien, but it’s not ‘filigreed’ enough to be a ‘perfect’ wine. I think the 2002 Léoville Barton is just entering its plateau of full maturity and has the potential to gain more finesse and elegance in the coming years. Nevertheless it is utterly enjoyable now. 12,5% alcohol.
2002-Leoville-Barton.jpg

Sounds lovely. I have been a fan of this wine since release. It had some tough spots, but the makeup was good.

Loved when wines like this were $35 on the shelf.

Bought my 2002 Barton at garagiste, of all places, for $33.

Leoville Barton is always reliable and consistent. Glad you had a great experience.

ty for the tn Rudi! I have a few bottles of the 2002, have not touched one in about 4 years, and was wondering if/when I should try another. Perhaps tomorrow night.

Have a couple bottles, haven’t tried but I’ve been eye-balling, so very timely note and appreciated. Definitely made me want to pop one!

“Opulent” is something that I had not associated much with the 2002 Bdx I’ve drank, but good to read the TN as I also have a few of these stashed at the remote cellar.

This note is absolutely spot on. I opened one last night, encouraged (and curious) bc of this note, and it is indeed, a shockingly opulent wine. Shocking because of the vintage and the producer. As Rudi says, it isn’t detailed enough to be considered a “great” wine, yet, but I do think that to a degree that is because of the massive up-front opulence of the wine. I now have hopes that in another 5-7-10 years this is going to be much better than the excellent performance I got form it last night. Glad I still have a few

Great to hear, gents.

I had a bottle a few years ago and thought it needed more time. I am thrilled by the notes showing positive evolution, and think I will wait at least 3 more years before giving it a pop.

I love this thread. I am a big fan of Second Growths/equivalents in “unsung” vintages. Generally at a relatively palatable price point, and ready to drink sooner — what’s wrong with that? Recently 04 Pichon Baron, 93 Montrose and 01 LB
Were terrific.

‚…ready to drink sooner’, yes, especially for people of my age and older, I’m 64… and absolutely nothing is wrong with that, Kelly. :slight_smile:

Neal, thanks for your nice note!

Just to add another angle to Rudi’s excellent note, we tried side by side the L-B 01 and 02 last night, which was interesting. Léoville-Barton has a distinctive taste and the actual fruit impressions were much the same, typical St.Julien spice with that hint of Xmas cake Bartons usually have. There’s a difference between tasting and drinking, which was clear last night: the 01 initially tasted muted and a little bland next to the more spritely 02, which had simply more of everything, it was more vibrant and more fruity. If we had stopped there, the winner would have been clearly the 02. But as the evening wore on, the 01 gained a little bite and we found ourselves going back to the bottle for more rather than to the 02. The 01 was more relaxed, more mature and more satisfying, the 02’s youthful charms becoming a bit tiring.

They’re both good wines, but neither are top notch. For drinking now, the 01 is better, but for the future, the 02 is still a good buy. Over here, the prices are usually identical.

I had the 2002 LB last week it was shockingly good. I avoided the vintage and just picked up this lone bottle on a whim, after drinking a Magdelaine, and now I wish I had a case of it. Interesting comparison with the 2001, Julian.

I remember being at the NH State Liquor outlets after getting out of the Army in 2005 and thinking, “Why would anyone pay $28 for a bottle of wine?” This was the wine that caught my attention because I liked the label. Of course they also had First Growths for a little over $129/bottle too. Once again, highlighting how fast things change in the wine world.

Nice note, Julian! Indeed, there is a substantial difference between tasting and drinking over a few hours. I have never had both wines in direct comparison, very interesting. For me, the 2001 is indeed a bit more complex and has a bit more depth and finesse finally, but both wines are really delicious.

Yep, this wine has been a real treat. I’ve gone through four bottles …3 in the last three years. I purchased it b/c of the price @ < $400 out the door for the case. A true best buy from the bargain bin. A lesson in buying quality houses you enjoy in “off” years.

My price is smaller than yours [wow.gif] - first tranche futures, south of $30, IIRC. Having bought cases for myself and my son, however, I am, nevertheless, well-endowed.

Tangentially related, drank a bottle of Haut-Bailly from this vintage last week, over several days. Lovely, especially with food; softer (from memory) than the LB - as befits a Pesac. 2002 is the last year I went long in Bordeaux and, really, nearly everything I’ve opened has been darn good.

Haven’t tried the La Tour yet.

Had this 4 months ago
My impression was that it was to young and unyielding
Tannin and fruit
The 1983 on the other hand…