WTF is the problem with Chardonnay?

More than any other grape varietal, I seem to always get a kind of chemical, artificial taste with them, unless I kind of splash on Failla or Lioco etc. But all the everyday Chards I buy are all awful. Oak can muddle things up, but it’s not that, it’s something else that just feels processed. What is it?

The only issue with Chardonnay is that it is grown outside Burgundy and Chablis.

Isn’t all chablis burgundy but not all Burgundy is chablis?

There is nothing ‘wrong‘ with Chardonnay.

As a somewhat neutral grape the winemaker too often plays a larger part in determining the end result.

Yes but it’s geographically separated further North from the other parts of Burgundy. I think it’s actually closer to Champagne geographically. And it’s stylistically very distinct. But let’s not overthink this!

Also it can be grown in Champagne

1 Like

The only problem with Chardonnay that I have is that I don’t buy enough of it! I always pass when purchasing wine but then have a glass and realize I need to drink more!

I do know what you mean about a chemical aftertaste. I find that I get a bitter chemical taste with most over chilled, cheap whites. When they warm up a bit is goes away.

My wife drinks a lot of California Chardonnay and I get the same reaction as the OP in much of it. Not all of it by any means and I am absolutely not saying all Chardonnay or even all California Chardonnay is bad. But there a taste in many that I find completely off putting. I’ve given up trying to figure out what it is from because while it’s more prevalent in the lower price points it’s not consistent there and I have picked it up in the occasional higher end wine from reputable producers.

I have a friend, a casual wine drinker, who intensely dislikes chardonnay. It’s not a matter of oak, or anything other than the variety. I’ve tried giving her subtle, atypical chardonnays (e.g. from the Loire, with no oak) without telling her what it is, and she still consistently hates them. As far as I know, she has no similar issue with other whites, or reds for that matter. So, to the OP’s question, it is possible that there’s something in chardonnay that a small portion of the population reacts adversely to.

The problem? It’s not Riesling.

2 Likes

Count me in Camp David.

I hear you.

Chardonnay from Loire is definitely very atypical. Both from the standpoint of Chardonnay and Loire.

I’m not saying they don’t exist, since I’ve had one or two in my life. However, seeing how Chardonnay is nothing more than a minor blending grape in very few appellations there, Loire Chard is something probably as atypical as they come.

Well, perhaps a Bordeaux Chardonnay would be something even more rare. [wow.gif]

Well…I’ve been told that Chardonnay displays terroir more than any other grape variety. That must be it !! [stirthepothal.gif]
Tom

I have heard that some people are allergic to terroir.

“awful”? Thousands of winemakers can’t be selling, and millions of consumers wouldn’t be buying, “awful” wine.

Maybe you just don’t like it? I don’t like Rhone varietals. I respect them, I just don’t like them. Like Radiohead - I respect the music, I just don’t get it.

Two really good Chards from CA that won’t break the bank and are not manipulated: Model Farms ($40) and Kinero ($35).

So your descriptors make it challenging to figure out exactly what the issue is here. ‘Chemical’ to me would be either some kind of fault (VA, EA) or perhaps too much alcohol. ‘Processed’ to me might mean ‘artificial flavors’ that are out of whack with what a ‘typical’ version of the variety might display.

My guess is that what I described is not what you meant - but not sure. Can you explain further please?

Cheers.

I’m with Larry. This doesn’t sound like an issue with “Chardonnay”.

Try ones not stored in oak barrels