Which Barolo/Barbaresco should I open?

I’d like to pick the brains of all you wine experts! Having a “fine wine” event on Wednesday and I am tasked to bring a bottle; which of the following would be the most “ready” for opening at this stage (August 2019)?

(1) Roagna Paje Barbaresco 2012
(2) Mascarello Monprivato 2012
(3) Elvio Cogno Ravera Barolo 2013
(4) Cavallotto Bricco Boschis Barolo 2013
(5) Produttori Del Barbaresco 2014
(6) Pio Cesare Barolo 2013

don’t want to do infanticide especially if it can develop much more. I’m learning towards (4) or (6) since I can buy them where I am at easily; the rest are a bit more expensive to replace…

Cheers

Shawn Poon
Singapore

Frankly opening any of them would be infanticide so to speak. None of these wines were released more than 2-3 years ago.

That said, sometimes wines will show surprisingly well on release. I’d go with #5 or 6. The produttori is pretty tight last I tasted it, but it’s the least expensive on your list. The Pio Cesare might not yet be shut down.

I’d advise against decanting as that could cause them to shut down too.

If you have to open any of these, the 2012s are probably more accessible now than the '13s. The '14 Produttori is also probably a good bet.

I’d open the Produttori.

thanks all! how about the cavallotto? it might be interesting to try it young and i can just buy a few more if i like it to cellar…
hmm.

The Cavallotto showed very well two years ago, but it might well be shut down a bit now.

Whatever you open, report back!

I too would lean towards the PdB. The '13s all risk being tight and tannic at this point. I would look at the '12s as second choices, with a slight lean towards the Roagna. I actually have the '12 Roagna Paje teed up to try soon as I wanted some exposure to the style/vintage. Not sure if I’ll get to it before Wednesday.

That pdb was quite nice on release though could have closed since. That would also be my pick and I would pnp since it is at risk of closing with a long decant at this age.

Ugh, why so early? Though call to open any of these bottles prior to their prime drinking window. At gun point I would confer with previous posts and settle for PdB.

This, although while the Produttori might be lighter than the surrounding PdB vintages, it still is a rather tightly-knit one and built for the long haul. I’d rather keep it.

Shawn,

I just started collecting wines so I don’t have anything in my cellar with age. My first strategy for these events is to buy an older bottle from a retailer. I don’t know where you live, but winesearcher.com will show you local retailers who have a given wine. You could pick any of the wines you listed, change the vintage and search for a store close to you. They will probably have it in their warehouse so you wouldn’t see it on their shelf if you walked through the store. If you buy it tonight, you should be able to pick it up by Wednesday. Pricing is all over the place, but it helps in a pinch.

Since I’m 57, I stopped buying wines to age that are vintage after 2010. I can buy wines from our local wine store to drink soon. I can also find bargains there on older champagne and Spanish reds which I like. I have just started a foray into Winebid.com for older wines. This will enable me to have some older wines to share and for occasional opening with my wife.

Just a couple of thoughts,

Lonnie

Another vote for the Produttori. While it has years to go, I very much enjoyed a bottle back in the spring with Holy Grail ribeyes.

Sounds like you are are curious about it, possibly considering buying more. Go for it! Buy at least another one for replacement so you can try it with a bit more age down the road :slight_smile:

Otherwise good advices [cheers.gif]

another vote for Produttori. easiest to replace at a decent price.

Open the PdB and don’t even look at the Monprivato!

Which to open? Treat yourself to a great Champagne. Which is another way of saying that the aforementioned, save the PdB, which will show nicely but not wonderfully, are many, many years away from true enjoyment. Patience isn’t always so easy :pensive:

another vote for the Produttori Del Barbaresco 2014

I had the Cavalotto last november and it was gorgeous and very approachable
but that’s nine Month Ago.I would open
Produttori or Cavalotto.

I’d hold onto the Produttori. They rocked 2014.

I have had the Roagna Paje Barbaresco 2012 a few times and with some air, its awesome. Maybe 30 minutes in decanter.