Harlan Estate - 2016 The Maiden

Harlan Estate is out with the 2016 The Maiden and 2017 Harlan Estate.

Is anyone buying? $300 per bottle for The Maiden.

Did you reverse the years?

The Maiden for $300, holy mackerel!

What are they asking for the Estate?

I just bought 2016 Chateau Pichon Comtesse Lalande for $180, how do you think the Harlan’s compare to that?

I double checked the years. The Maiden offer I received is 3 bottles for $900 or 6 for $1800.

I have not had a Harlan Estate wine.

Just logged in. Harlan is $2700, only offered in one 3-pack. No option for single bottles or mags, as offered in previous vintages.

1 Like

I checked and can do a single, double, or 3 pack of Estate, and 3 or 6 of Maiden.
I’ll probably just stick with Mascot until they tip the $100/bottle mark, and then drop off the list. Who knows, it could be their next offering. I opened a 2010 Maiden recently and it was really nice, and I remember when Maiden was under $100. Thinking of all the things I can spend $999 on (the price for 1 bottle of 2017 Harlan plus tax and shipping), a new 750ml bottle of wine isn’t one of them.

Are they going down the Bryant route? Overestimating the demand? Or have they just raised prices so much demand has fallen off cliff?

Harlan is first growth Napa and until the economy severely corrects, I’m guessing the population of luxury wine consumers is still growing, especially in the Bay Area.

harlan.jpg

By price, yes. Curious if anyone would consider it ‘first growth Napa’ in a blind tasting…

I am in shock. Just checked my offering and it looks like I will have to pass. Last year, I was on the fence. This year they simply priced me out. :astonished:

I am sure lots of restaurants and corps can justify those prices.

I dropped off when the price was $500 a bottle.
They must be selling since they keep raising the price.

I didn’t get an email from them but did have an allocation when I logged in. Not going to happen at those prices. Split a 3 pack with a much wealthier friend last year.

I’d rather spend that $900 commitment they are asking of me on 2016 Bordeaux, Pinots from various producers, and some port vintages.

Really like the Maiden but at $300 it’s a likely pass. There must be buyers though. Had the same issue with HSS when it hit $300+.

If anyone wants any Estate or Maiden drop me a note.

i almost understand buying harlan at 900. but maiden at 300 is just laughable.

1 Like

I’m realllly on the fence for this one. I passed on both last year and have already gotten the nasty gram saying if I don’t bite I’m off the allocation list. 2017 is my son’s birth year and, therefore, somewhat sentimental but $2700 is outrageous. If I went for the Maiden it would only be to stay on the allocation list for their 2017 next year, honestly.

EC2303F2-617E-4ACE-BE0B-907CBBD2F9A1.jpeg
Just saw this in WS. Your getting a deal at $900

Very accurate reporting. I was reading the sneak preview as the Harlan mailer popped up in my inbox. They are also wrong on the Colgin, which is $500, not $650. Seems like a bargain compared to Harlan. champagne.gif

I may pull the trigger on a three pack of the Maiden, but with a couple offerings coming in the next month (Memento Mori, MacDonald), I may punt on this.

My reason for considering is my opening of a 2013 Maiden a couple years ago that I recall as being one of the best bottles I have ever opened.

Its terrific wine, but is it $900++ for a three pack terrific?

Sounds like a lot of punts so far.

Wonder how many are going to drop off of their allocation list…