2016 barbaresco buying intentions?

With a few 2016s already on the shelves, I have picked out a couple to try: Castello di Nieve, La Ca’Nova Montestefano, Sottimano Pajore, and Produttori Langhe (looking for in-stock barbaresco vs. pre-arrival). Any others that folks would recommend checking out in the < $100? CT has a couple producers it seems difficult to procure in the U.S. (e.g., Olek Bondonio and Giuseppe Cortese).

Picked up a case of Francesco Versio at around 30 EUR per. Used to be winemaker at Giacosa (is he still?). At that price, I thought it worth a try.

La ca’ nova Montefico is a good buy too.

Thanks, how does the Montefico vs. Montestefano compare in style? I have generally read the Montestefano is a more structured wine, but have not come across (yet) a more detailed comparison sheet.

From chambers street:
We first met Francesco Versio at Giacosa; he’d started there as cellar master soon after finishing school. As a mutual friend told us, “Bruno recognized Francesco”, meaning that Giacosa thought Francesco was a kindred spirit. When Dante Scaglione left Giacosa, Francesco took over as winemaker. In 2017 he joined Scaglione at Luigi Oddero* – among other temptations, Francesco says that the chance to work with Vigna Rionda was irresistible. One of the other temptations was his new employer’s supportive attitude about Francesco making his own wine; since 2013 he’s been bottling Barbaresco from two tiny family plots, now farmed organically.

I’m definitely eyeing the 2016s from Moccagatta. I’ll probably snag a few bottles from other producers including Sottimano, Cigliuti, Castello di Neive, and Cortese as they roll in too.

The Montefico is more about finesse &
elegance,and as you said The Montestefano
more structured and more for the long haul

I intend to buy a lot of 2016 Barbaresco (and barolo). The early signs of the vintage are very good. I picked up a bottle of the Produttori 2016 Barbaresco normale a few weeks ago and I think it may be the best version of the Produttori normale to-date. Seriously gorgeous wine and well worth opening one now, really beautiful aromatics. For my palate it is a meaningful step-up from the 2015. I see you picked up a bottle of the Langhe '16 - that is also really beautiful imo but based on my memory the Barbaresco is a step up.

I had a bottle of the '16 Ca Nova Montefico recently as well, which was much more austere than the '16 Produttori normale, but it’s definitely a powerhouse of a wine. I did not have them side-by-side, but the '16 produttori normale is showing better for now. I have not had the Montestefano.

I’m watching the 2016 Produttori trickle onto California shelves (digitally). If I can find a good price I’ll be going for a case of that (which is very, very rare occurrence for me). We’ll see if I can push my local Total Wine to order it for something like the 29-31$ price they for the prior vintage. I also really enjoy Ca Nova at that price point. Probably won’t buy any other producers

I have had a La Ca’Nova Montestefano and Castello di Verduno so far… and wow. I found the La Ca’Nova to be more dense, restrained, elegant with drying tannins, and the CdV to a more rambunctious, lively wine. Two very different wines, but both great values at $30 IMHO. I give the nudge to the La Ca’Nova, and need to work through other '16s!

Good luck. It seems to be $35 and up in '16.

That seemed to be the case with the 15 as well

I’m optimistic! Right now California is all $39… but my local TW didn’t raise the price when they switched from 14 to 15 (they don’t list vintage on the site) so it was 28.79 for six or more. They’re out of stock now but I’m crossing my fingers when they reup they don’t adjust the price… [oops.gif]

The 2016 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco ‘Normale’ is crazy good. Just grabbed 6 more. First tine around, $32.95, one week later, $34.95. Same source.

Yes, I Pobega’d it. Don’t do that too much (or at all!) with Italian wines…lolol

But how much longer will it stay open? By the end of next year, it’ll most likely be in a deep slumber.

Saw Mike’s note…appreciate the early look. I picked up 6 myself.

Drank one last weekend and agree w Mike. Very solid value at $32.99.

That sounds like some pretty serious trouble in Paradise.

???
paradise-lost.jpg

If we compare this with Burgundy pricing…

Indeed. The PdB normale is still great value, even if it’s not the steal it was a $22-$24 a few years back.