TN: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spatlese

This wine again kicked ass last night. That’s my tasting note.
2001. For the acidheads.
Is Prum not at the of the great wine values on planet earth relative to quality and consistent awesomeness?
Buy, buy, buy.
Wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger.
Fill that cellar with Prum.
Rant over.
20190828_202015.jpg

I bought some of this recently for $50/btl and I buy back-vintage JJP whenever I can find it. They age so gorgeously. They may well be the wine world’s best-value ageworthy wines.

Yep. Right there with you on all of that [cheers.gif]

Thanks, Dennis. I have some stashed away. Maybe it’s time to pull out a bottle…

for sure, John. Clearly years more development, but catch it now with a perfect balance of that zippy acidity around the rich fruit.

Super nice wine Dennis! Thanks for sharing. 2001 is such a great Riesling year in Germany.

I should say that I tend to like my rieslings with a lot of age. I’ve been drinking lower 02 Kabinetts, which are developing some real complexity. My sense of the few 01s I’ve had is that they were still sort of adolescent. I couldn’t tell from your note where you think this.

Yes, good question. I would say this is def. adolescent. I do like some of that vibrant adolescence. Though I love them with more age, too.

I bought a couple of cases of GH from 04 on closeout for $18. It never fails to please.

How are the 05 and 06 JJPrums developing? I recall how high Terry Theise was on the 05s in general on release.

Well Terry didn’t say anything about Prüm, but 2005 is slow, but not glacially developing as a vintage. The richness helps 2005s show well.

Yes, edited my post to clarify his 05 comments were “in general”. Good to hear they’re aging well. I bought a ton of 05 Donnhoff, might have to check in on a kabinett soon.

Actually, I have had several 2005 Dönnhoff Spätlesen in recent years, and they have been scrumptious.

While everything was good, the 2001 Prum and the fish and tofu in pickled pepper sauce were definitely the stars of the evening.

Yum-o
20190828_200133.jpg

Damn, food looks awesome. Kickass wine, too.

[cheers.gif]

Spicy fragrant lamb
20190828_202726.jpg

Anyone had the 2010 ?
Maybe I will open mine.

I have had the 2010 ghrs and although I committed wine infanticide and should be punished by being forced to drink a case (over a month) of Yellowtail riesling as punishment, it’s showing well with plenty of the 2010 acid which is why I adore that vintage.

I have had the 2010 ghrs and although I committed wine infanticide and should be punished by being forced to drink a case (over a month) of Yellowtail riesling as punishment, it’s showing well with plenty of the 2010 acid which is why I adore that vintage.