access to past Graperadio podcasts?

I was wondering if anyone had the same issues I am running into with previously recorded podcasts on Graperadio. I can get relatively recent episodes easily but older ones (pre 2014) are giving me an error message. Any clues to how to get better access?

Yes I have run into this as well. It would appear that they aren’t no longer available. I asked the same question here a few years ago and wasn’t able to get any resolution.

A few years ago, Jay and I discussed ways of cutting the cost of storage on our site. We decided to keep all the video shows “live,” and deep archive (remove from the site, but save the mp3 files) from 2013 back to 2005.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the explanation.

You might consider uploading them to the Internet Archive, in which case they will be made available for free to the world at no cost to you.

Joe

https://archive.org/about/

Not sure what the budget would be, but there are free podcasting hosting services out there. Not free, but one option might be 400MB from Libsyn for $20 a month. You would get a new 400MB each month. Assuming your .mp3s are between 50MB and 99MB, you could host a new set of 4 to 8 episodes each month (the previous ones would be archived in your storage, still available to listeners as normal) for $240 a year.

Thx Levi and Eric for your quick reply and thx for the many hours of enjoyment I have gotten from your work! Hope you both can keep up your contributions to the community. Isn’t there some way you could charge a bit of an access fee to your sites to keep them viable? I would certainly pay a buck a broadcast to listen to past shows…

Levi, your podcasts are amazing. Absolutely my favourite of all. I really like Graperadio, too, especially when it’s a one-to-one interview with winemakers.

One advantage of GR is that, when you use the website version, the podcast continues (on Android) even if you don’t have the browser open. You can be looking at the home screen or open another app (that doesn’t have audio) and can continue to listen. With IDTT you need to use a split screen and have to continuously go back to the IDTT window and restart it when you start a new app alongside.

I understand this might be a niche issue that can’t be added to IDTT without moving to a completely new platform which may well not be a big enough ‘issue’ to do this.

Even so, if a new platform was sought, it could be a (minor) factor to be considered.

More importantly, keep up the good work everybody!

Dennis, are there any specific episodes you’re after? I don’t like streaming and prefer to download web based media locally before watching/listening. Plus I rarely delete anything I download and would most likely have a folder of GrapeRadio podcasts on an external drive at home. I could have a look if you’d like.

James, Thank you for your nice note and thanks for listening.

My guess here is that you are downloading the file directly when you listen to GrapeRadio, but that you are using a streaming option (and thus have to keep your browser open) when you listen to IDTT. Have you tried the “Download this episode directly as an .mp3 file” option for your IDTT listening? That might solve the issue you are experiencing. Another route would be to use an app like Pocket Casts.

Thanks.

Really would like to listen to the Krankl interview again, the Jefferson wine podcast would also be fun. If I knew they would be going into storage I would have downloaded a bunch of them…

Thanks, Levi. I’ll give it a try.

I’ll have a look tonight Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

I had a look and sadly I don’t believe I’ve got the episodes you’re after. It appears like I’ve only got episodes from 2013 onwards. The 2014 episodes are still available whereas the 2013 episodes aren’t even listed anymore. The three specific 2013 episodes I have are as follows.

GR-EN-USA-2013-04-17.mp3
GR-EN-USA-2013-04-24.mp3
GR-EN-USA-2013-11-06.mp3

Thanks for pointing this out, looks like it’s time to fire up wget and scrape the rest.

I burned a few episodes to CD. I will check the pile of discs.

Thanks for your response! This is really pretty valuable material, don’t know if anyone will bother recording some of the folks that spend their time talking about their wines. I learn more from these interviews than I do reading lots of written material, that tends to be heavily edited…loved listening to a recent interview with a German producer from the Mosel. He was refreshingly chauvinistic about his own wines! Gotta love someone who claims his wines are better than aged white Burgundies!!! I laughed as I rode my bike with the wireless headset on. BTW if you have open air headphones (not Ipods, they block out outside traffic alerts) it is a great way to pass the time during a workout.

He was right!

Found a copy of the Krankl interview.