Big Turley collection at K&L

Lots of choices. Not sure there are many “bargains,” but lots to choose from for Turley fans.

“Highlighted here is a massive collection of Turley Wine Cellars. A benchmark producer of Zinfandel and Petite Syrah, the wines of this famed estate has captured the hearts and minds of scores of collectors. Represented is the very best of the best from this remarkable estate. Included are the famed single-vineyard bottlings of Dusi, Pesenti, Rattlesnake Ridge, Dogtown, and many more. Rarely do you find a collection so diverse and in such excellent condition. This is a perfect opportunity to find old favorites and hunt for new ones. Quantities are limited.”

Not sure why, but it seems like there’s always a huge collection of Turley being offered somewhere. Winebid, for example’ gets a ton of them every month or so - older vintages right up to current releases.

Maybe because they produce so many wines, and people end up with more than they want when their palate starts to shift??

Have a pretty large growing collection of Turley. Like Bedrock and Carlisle, they are priced right for the most part and are easy to buy large quantities of. They just need some cellar time. I just checked my cellar app, between those 3 wineries they have 25% of my storage space. Its easy to amass these wines and then want to dump them to make room for other wines that need more cellar time, and space.

So there is no factual basis to this claim, but when I went over to Turley a few months ago in Paso they had tons of wines from their collections for very reasonable prices. I picked up a couple of 1994 Petites for somehting like $65? They had various wines from the 90’s and early 2000’s for sale, like 10-15 cases of each surrounding the display, wonder if they are having issues moving their wine at their tasting rooms and sold it off to retail and retail stores say collection and you instantly think it is an individual that held all this wine…? Again just my guess not an actual claim of knowing if this is truly what happened

Well, they’ve been cellared for a quarter of a century - what do they taste like now?

This also happens frequently with the Acker web/online auction. For example, there are cases of Morlet Family Vineyards wines for sale in the current auction. My guess is that the winery can’t sell them through the tasting room or normal distribution channels and looks to recoup something at auction…but of course I could be wrong.

Our local wine shop has lots of Turley and some Rafanelli zin priced much higher than retail from the wineries.

Based on our experiences with mid/late 2000’s Petites, they don’t age well. So make no assumptions.

I remember doing a little happy dance whenever I found a bottle or two of Turley at retail, in the mid to late nineties. Shit was super allocated back then.

Now I see it at retail more often. I still do an almost indiscernible happy dance though.

I’ve had a few 20+ year old Turley petites and zins this year. They hold up well and are fun to drink in a certain way, but they’re still massive ripe/overripe fruit, rich, thick, etc. Probably best as an after dinner drink.

I think the petites are probably better than when they were young, but don’t expect them to become something that isn’t what 1990s Turley wines were about in the first place.

The zins were probably better younger for my tastes, though they held up better than many of us would have expected for wines of that type. I think we had a 1997 Hayne Zinfandel recently that was listed at 17.1%? I’m not certain of the exact Turley bottling, but the wine was at 17.1%.

By the way, Turley wines these days, while still far from shy, aren’t nearly that ripe and especially not nearly as oaked as the versions from 10-20 years ago.

I’d say Tegan’s wines are a decent bet. They definitely had an ooze-monster phase prior to that, though.

I think i might know who you are talking about. If so, they buy them retail from the wineries or at retail from list members and then mark them up from there.