TN: 07 Dios Ares 'Reserva' [Rioja]

07 Dios Ares ‘Reserva’ [Rioja] 14% abv, fairly dark for a 12yo Rioja. I’ve had it since release, but didn’t take great care of it, as it just sat in a room temp rack. The cork separated at extraction by our somewhat clumsy waitress. There is a little saline, briney, zesty note to the wine on the palate. No real tannins. According to the label it got a couple years of new French oak, which seems well resolved now. This all tempranillo offering is in the modern style of Rioja. I had it with a slab of iron pan seared King Salmon, which went well with it. For my tastes, it is not really of Rioja, tasting more international, but its a solid enough wine. The SO however does find it typical of the DO, saying she picks up some zippy pickle notes. I’d give it a B but wouldn’t buy it again. It has kept well enough, and would have been fresher if it got a little more respectful storage at my place.

If you keep kitchen quaffers around in a different area than your normal cellar zone, remember to cycle through them!