Any recs for lunch in or around Beaune?

In early October, at the very end of a few weeks in Italy and France, we will be spending one night in Beaune at the l’Hotel de Beaune and will have dinner at Le Bistro de l’Hotel. We will have time for lunch that day (Saturday) and the next day as well before we take off. No, this is not a “real” visit to Burgundy with domaine visits and wine tastings as we did some years ago over a week’s time, just a stopover.
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for any places that would be excellent for lunch on those two days. I suppose since our 7:30 Saturday dinner may be filling, we might have a more casual but hopefully tasty lunch in Beaune itself and spend the afternoon walking around the town. On Sunday we will have checked out and we can either eat a larger lunch in Beaune or on the way back to Dijon, where we catch a 4pm train to Paris to stay at the CDG airport Sheraton and fly home the next morning…so no dinner of note that day, and a delicious lunch to sustain us on the last day of our trip would cap it off nicely.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Many recs in Beaune - you might already know “Ma Cuisine” - but many more.
On the way to Dijon you might go to
Castel de Tres Girard
in Morey St Denis.

Very good food, very relaxed service, good wine-list of not too high prices.
I´ve been there last week.
Also a hotel.

If you want to do a vineyard walk to Volnay: restaurant-lecelliervolnaysien.com is a good place, if you are lucky you might even sit in the garden. It’s a 5k walk.

In Beaune, many options. There is a market on Saturday morning, which is very nice. Le bout du Monde, le comptoir des tontons and Caves Madeleine are all casual lunch spots just outside the center.

La Dilettante is great, he makes the most amazing tomato salad with bufalla mozzarella I’ve ever had. If you want to venture a little outside of Beaune to Chambolle, Millesime is a nice lunch spot with a very good wine list.

Le Cellier Volnaysien Very good food and great wine list. In Volnay not very far away from Beaune.

Loiseau des Vignes at Hotel Le Cep has a great, inexpensive lunch menu and a super list of wines by the glass.

Second La Dilettante. Open for lunch every day but Wed and Sun (call and get a reservation, they fill up). Simple food, nothing fancy, but very good, and an excellent well priced wine list of recent releases (I’ve drunk a number of bottles of Raveneau and Dauvissat there, though I can’t guaranty they will always have those).

Le Cellier Volnaysien if you want a bigger lunch with excellent wine and are willing to drive to Volnay.

La Dilettante in Beaune if you want a lighter lunch with excellent wine. This is a small bar with an excellent owner named Lolo (used to own Caves Madeleine)

Brasserie Le Belena in Beaune is you want a nice casual lunch but with a very mediocre wine list. We have sometimes gone there when we have a day full of appointments and do not want wine for lunch.

Such heresy! [wink.gif]

On days where I visit three wineries and will have a nice dinner with wine, even if I am spitting at the winery, which I usually do, I usually skip wine at lunch to preserve my palate.

For lunch, Le Bistro du Bord de l’Eau in Levernois can’t be beaten. And to be honest, you can do much, much better than the Bistro de l’Hotel for dinner. It’s vastly overpriced for average food, and the wine list is horrendously expensive. If it’s wine you’re after, Maison du Colombier or Ma Cuisine are hugely better; if it’s food, run (don’t walk) to reserve at La Lune, at the counter do you get the theatre as well. One man’s opinion, gained from long experience.

Thank you all for your recommendations. Apparently Le Bistro du Bord de l’Eau is not open for lunch on Sundays…or at least that is not coming up on their reservation site.

My mistake…apparently they are indeed open for lunch on Sundays.

Is Maison du Colombier open for lunch. I went there for dinner and loved the place, but I thought we once walked by at lunch time and it was closed. Could have just been the day or I may be confused about the place that was closed. I agree that it is a great place to go for wine.

Generally, I am not eating lunch in Beaune. I am around and about going to wineries, looking at vineyards, etc., and just eat lunch wherever I am (often quickly because I am behind on time and don’t want to be late for my next appointment). More than once, I have had lunch on what I would call a food truck I a park in the Cotes de Nuits.

Second for Cave Madeleine! Great lunch spot.

Maison du Colombier is not open for lunch (neither is La Lune). Those were suggested replacements for Bistro de l’Hotel for dinner.

La Superbe hasn’t been mentioned and I enjoy it very much. I need to go back.

We had a very nice dinner at La Dilettante when we visited Beaune in early July, and I’m sure lunch would be equally excellent. I’m not sure what Alan meant by “wine list” though. The available wines are on shelves that run almost the entire side of the restaurant.
la dilettante.jpg

Scott, that’s true. Actually kind of fun to just look on the shelf and pick what you want. I was just using “wine list” generically to describe wines available. Looks like you did well!

Rotisserie du Chambertin: In Gevrey has fabulous Rotisserie chicken. The wine list is pretty good.

Le Millisieme: In Chambolle has some inventive twists to the food. Wine list is good and you usually snare a Raveneau or Dauvissat at a good price.

Le Montrachet: A 1 star in Puligny has a fabulously well-priced lunch menu. Very good wine list.

Bistro des Tontons in Beaune is really good.

Bistro Bord’Eaux in Levernoise just out of Beaune is worth a visit. They have a fancy pants restaurant (which I think is closed at the moment) but eat in the Bistro and ask for the list from the main restaurant, it is outstanding. They also have a wonderful pastry chef so make sure you do desert.

Boute du Monde is a good wine bar in Beaune.

Aupres du Clocher: Modern restaurant in Pommard. Very good list, outstanding food.

Le Chevreuil: A good choice in Meursault. The terrine Chaud is outstanding.

Le Terroir: This is a gem in Santenay. Not fancy but honest. Corinne who runs it is one of the most charming hosts you will encounter. Wine list is well-priced.

Ma Cuisine: Classic Bistro in Beaune. Pierre the owner can be a grumpy fucker but the food is excellent and wine list very good.

Caves Madeleine: In Beaune. Great food. Wine list is a bit natural.

La Cabotte: This is an excellent restaurant in Nuits.

Lameloise in Chagny is an outstanding and good value 3 star.

Market days in Beaune are Wednesday and Saturday mornings. The market in Chagny on Sunday is good.

Athenaeum in Beaune is a brilliant book store.