Ancillary Cellars 2017 release schedule

Some of my favorites from Mike Smith & Mark Carter

As stated in their email

“We are pleased to announce the long awaited release schedule for ancillary cellar’s 2017 Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays. For this release we are offering two distinct and unique pinots: a racy pinot from the Sun Chase Vineyard and the supple and silky pinot from the Sangiacomo Vineyard. Additionally, we are thrilled to offer two chardonnays this year: from the renowned Sangiacomo Green Acres Vineyard, which many have called “simply stunning,” and a new ethereal chardonnay, from the El Diablo Vineyard, a site planted and farmed by the famed Ulises Valdez family.

As a gesture of thanks to our past supporters, starting Wednesday, September 18th at 9:00 am (Pacific Time), our 2017 wines will be available for purchase by our “Loyal Fans,” those who have purchased from us in the past. The following week on September 25th, the wines will be offered to our general mailing lists. Also, in case you haven’t heard, our previous releases have garnered considerable praise from many critics. Beyond what the critics and press have said, we hope that you have enjoyed the previous Pinots and Chardonnay and are ready and excited to try our 2017 releases.

Thanks for your support of ancillary cellars, we are excited to get these wines into your hands.

Mike Smith and Mark Carter”

FWIW, the El Diablo chardonnay is stunning!

Cheers!
Marshall

I’ve never tried any of these - what other recommendations are there from folks who have had some? Appreciate any insight.

I tried one of each except the El Diablo – had a hard time ponying up that much without having tried them before. Going on the recs here + Mike Smith as winemaker.

Not a fair sampling size, I know, but here’s my take:

I bought the initial 2012 vintage of both the Sun Chase and Sangiacomo pinots and thought they were just OK. Not really my style. Too much baking spice and stewed fruit. I haven’t opened one in over a year, and I still have one of each left. Think I’ll check in on them this weekend and see what’s what.

I have enjoyed these pinots in the past, especially the Sun Chase whole cluster (which I do not see offered here?), but do not remember sampling the chards. How is the QPR on the Sangiacomo Chard at $45? I really like almost all of Mike Smith’s other projects, I’ve just never had the chardonnay.

If you ever have a chance, stay at the Carter Inn in Eureka. Great place. Gracious host. Wonderful food. It was the only place I’ve done a wine pairing that didn’t disappoint.

Ordered a few of each of the pinots. Have enjoyed these in the past and recently had a '13 sun chase vineyard pinot that was delicious!

1 Like