TN: Two nice ones from steep hillsides and a fail

My second vintage from Dumas and damn, we have a superstar in the making. Without any exaggeration I do not know a Saint Joseph rouge that drinks better at age three. Note to self: buy all you can while it’s still available and cheap.

• 2016 François Dumas St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (12.9.2019)
    Very dark, deep color in the glass. Intense on the nose with the textbook aromatics: sweet blackberry fruit, freshly ground black pepper, minerals and wet leaves. Hauntingly beautiful and expressive stuff. Surprisingly substantial on the palate with expansive dark toned fruit and nicely gripping tannins. Again there is a sweet edge to the fruit but there is nothing overripe about it. It’s pretty amazing how complete of a wine it is and how well it is drinking right now, on PnP no less. So silky and refined, downright fine dining in its demeanor. I can’t wait to see how this one ages in the bottle.
  • 2015 Mamete Prevostini Valtellina Superiore - Sassella Sommarovina - Italy, Lombardia, Valtellina, Valtellina Superiore - Sassella (8.9.2019)
    Decanter for 1.5 hours. The nose is a charming mix of cherry, blood orange, herbs and tar. Really bright, fruity and fragrant. On the palate it is quite light-bodied yet with serious tannic grip. Lifted and driven, this is a wine that’s going places! Funny in that it’s very far from a bruiser yet it carries a lot of power and is as confident a wine as they come. 14% might be hefty for a non-Sfursat wine from Valtellina but it does not affect the drinkability one bit. Thumbs up!
  • 2014 Ferdinando Principiano Langhe Nebbiolo Le Coste - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (6.9.2019)
    Purchased in early 2016, kept at controlled 10 degrees Celsius ever since. 3 and a half years later, we have a Nebbiolo that shows clear signs of oxidation with no redeeming qualities really. A sad result of the low sulfur regime in a mediocre vintage?

Posted from CellarTracker