which SQNs are drinking well right now

Special occasion coming up. I guess I’m asking the question for reds and whites. CT notes seem to be range from great to meh. Hard to get a feel.
I have the reds from current release back to 2011 and the 5 Shooters from 2010. I have whites from current release back to 2012 (In the Abstract - so good but almost gone).

I am no expert on SQN, but I had the 2010 syrah 5 shooter maybe two years ago, and it was really fantastic. It certainly felt like it could go much longer, but it was not closed or anything of that nature. There was a small residue in the glass that I sniffed the next morning, and it brought back all of the amazing flavors from the night before. But I am sure others with far more experience here will weigh in.

You need to use a filter when reading the reviews. Many don’t like the style and if you do, then their input is meaningless.

2006 Raven Syrah a couple weeks ago was drinking really well.

Overshadowed a bit by an 09 Saxum James Berry…but still a great wine.

Just had the 2016 Sine Qua Non Syrah Rätsel 16 last month and it was singing. The sommelier and the owner both agreed.

Nice! Sounds like you were luckier than I was with an early shot at the 16’s, as the Dirt Vernacular Grenache I had last month was all oak and tannin…even after tons of air and on day 2!

Thanks for the heads up on Ratsel.

My first SQN was 02 JFTLOI. I think back then I drank them all too young. So I promised myself I would salt them away. I didn’t even look at the 2016 CT notes, but apparently they are singing. It’s like there’s an early window, then they shut downed and you need to go 10 years out. Is that a common experience?

Others here for sure have more SQN experience than I…but that is spot on from the bottles I’ve had. For reference, there was also a 2012 Stock Syrah opened the other night (same night as 06 Raven) and for my tastes, it was nowhere near ready. Again the oak stood out and the fruit was not integrated yet.

1 Like

Had the Piranha Waterdance twice in the past couple of weeks and that wine is wonderful. Young yes, but fantastic. I don’t even remember the vintage. I think it is 2014.

Had a 2008 The Line Syrah last night. Open for business, still has some oak notes which I would have preferred dialed down, but there is no denying the quality of the effort. Just an intoxicating nose that could have been modern old or new world. The palate still has the new world fruit but it is evolving nicely with some secondary notes. We gave it 3 hours in the decanter which was enough but 12+ wouldn’t have hurt it any either. It’s open for business if you have the itch.

Just drank a 5 Shooter Syrah last night. Decanted for 5 hours and it was still pretty young, but a lot of the oak had integrated. Really not noticing the alcohol at 15.5%. Still think it has a long way to develop secondary character, mostly primary black fruits. Texture was quite meaty and firm. But really very enjoyable wine, no trouble with a few friends polishing off a bottle…

Yep, been easy to drink and super enjoyable since release.

recent 2005 atlantis syrah was fantastic after 2 hours open, not decanted
not as muscular as some others tried over the years (mostly consumed younger fyi)

I opened the Dark Blossom Syrah (2011) Saturday night and it was great popped and poured. That said, there was a little left that I just tried and I should have decanted it for several hours–it’s actually better now :slight_smile:

The 2012 Stein Syrah was really nice–a bit more approachable than the Touché (below) but still needs a lot of air at this stage.

I had the 2013 Le Supplément Syrah a couple months ago–needs a lot of air, but is outstanding. Same with the 2012 Touché Syrah (both are Eleven Confessions bottlings).

I had a Papa (2003 Syrah) in March that was fantastic.

Personally I don’t think you can go wrong–more of a “do I like them younger (and do I have the ability to decant far enough in advance) or do I like them with some age?”

Nice, I have one on deck for dinner with my parents at the end of the year (it seems appropriate to bring a wine called Papa). Did you open in advance or pnp?

I decanted about hour or so. And even then the last glass was the best :slight_smile:

Papa is a favorite when its one. Its also the only SQN bottling i have experienced more than 1 corked bottle.

I am in the decant them all a fair bit. rarely decant less than 3 hrs if at all possible

mark - hope you are well

You are so right about long decants. The problem I find myself in is that I drink a fair number of these BUT I usually don’t decide what to drink until right before dinner so they don’t always get the required decant. The good news is that it means they always improve over the course of the evening, the bad news is that I could get even more enjoyment if I planned a little better :slight_smile:

Hope you’re well, too–virtually all of my travel has been to Europe, so let me know if you’re ever down this way!

I suffer from your issue, but they never make it 3 hours…

FWIW, we popped and poured a 2011 NOK last night at a restaurant (Campfire in Carlsbad—had the best pork chop I’ve ever had in my life). It was also outstanding—I would argue even better than the Dark Blossom we had last weekend. There is something about the 2011s that I love although I can’t put my finger on it.