A tasting at Col d'Orca

After too many years of putting it off we finally made it to Italy for a much needed vacation. I’ve been posting in the travel forum about the trip but our schedule was Florence, Santa Margherita Ligure, Bibbona/Bolgheri and the final 3 days in Pienza. The schedule has worked out very well. A bit of time in the car 2 of the days but overall very pleased with it. It was not a wine focused trip but we met up with some friends on the back half of the trip and squeezed in a few tasting trips- La Spinetta Cassanova, Ornellia, Tenuta Argentiera and Col d’Orcia.

My buddy does business in Italy and through one of his business partners he arranged for a tour, lunch and tasting with Count Francesco Marone Cinzano. This was our last wine tasting visit of the trip and thankfully so as it would not have been a fair compare to the others. The Count was a gracious, friendly and tremendously informative host. He has managed the winery since 1992 when he took over for his father. He started the move to being organic in 2008 and it’s really impressive how they are stewards of the land. We toured the grounds and barrel room where we started tasting from barrel. These are all from memory as I did not take any notes.

2018 Brunello- as expected lot’s of tannin up front. Big because it was so young but then calmed down a bit in glass. According to the Count the 2018 vintage was very big and the wines are not as concentrated. Will be more of an elegant year
2017- wow, very concentrated and intense. This should be a powerful wine and one to age for quite a bit. Our host was quite confident these wines will be built for aging and special.
2016- balance between the 2 and a solid year. This drank very well 18 months pre release.

We then headed to the tasting room for wine and lunch.

Here was the lineup

2016 Rosso di Montalcino DOC- nice everyday Sangiovese. good with first course and cheese
2016 Banditella Rosso di Montalcino- larger, brighter and very good. Bigger wine and more modern in style. After time in the glass and with some food this really was good and stood out. Referred to as their baby brunello. As good as a Rosso as I’ve had.
2013 Brunello di Montalcino DOCG Col d’Orcia- deep complex nose, red fruit, some structure but open. I would give 2-3 more years for optimum window but very drinkable now. Very good.
2014 Brunello di Montalcino DOCG Col d’Orcia- 14 vintage was very wet. Elegant and lighter wine. Ready to drink now while you wait on the others. Good
2013 Brunello di Montalcino DOCG Nastagio- deeper with more structure than the regular Brunello. Ripe and silky tannins. Very good to excellent

We had these first 5 then they started bringing out food. We were able to revisit those wines and they started pouring these

2012 Poggio al Vento Brunello di Montalcino Riserva DOCG- beautiful wine, deep and dark and just starting to show what it can do. A bit more complex and long on the finish than the other Brunello. Excellent.
2001 Poggio al Vento Brunello di Montalcino Riserva DOCG- Light in the mouth at first then opens with a bit of spice and red fruit. Perfectly balanced and little to no tannin. Wonderful treat to try. Still young with plenty of life but in great shape. This is from a lighter vintage so a more elegant wine. Excellent.

I finished my lunch with the 2001 then went back and finished the 2012 I had remaining.

2014 Olmaia Sant’Antimo Cabernet DOC- really nice cabernet. Good balance between dark fruit, acid and tannin. In good shape now but would give it a few more years.
2015 Nearco Sant’Antimo Rosso DOC- Merlot, Syrah blend. I really didn’t spend much time with it as I was focused on the Poggio and other Brunello
With Dessert:
Pascena Moscadello di Montalcino Late Harvest- this was excellent, much lighter in the mouth than other desert wines. Refreshing and delish.

Overall a great visit. I purchased the 2013 regular and Nastagio Brunello along with 2012 Poggio and the 2014 Cabernet. I also bought a bottle of the 2006 regular Brunello and my buddy bought a 1995.

2006 Brunello di Montalcino DOCG Col d’Orcia- It’s in a perfect drinking window. Graceful yet with plenty of presence. Deep and complex and was excellent with Roast Chicken. Excellent.
1995- Brunello di Montalcino DOCG Col d’Orcia- a special wine, very light around the edges with soy and balsamic notes. I don’t see any reason to hold this wine. Plenty of life left but don’t think I would continue to hold It’s aged well but may be a bit past the drinking window. Still it was excellent and great treat with our lunch.

Cheers
Fred

Hi Fred,

Nice notes! I had a stellar Poggio al Vento a while back:

Hi Henri - looks like you had a nice event with some great bottles. I’m looking forward to trying the Poggio later this year when they arrive.

cheers