If you have offsite storage, how many bottles do you keep at home

Currently, I have a cellar in my house, but I’m planning to transition to new house and rely on offsite storage for the bulk of my wine. The offsite storage is convenient to the new house (10-15 minute drive), but I will want to keep a selection of bottles at home. For people whose primary storage is offsite, I was wondering how many bottles do you keep at home and where do you keep them. Thanks!

About 40% of my wine is stored off-site in climate-controlled case storage near the airport. It’s all wine that needs more time.

Almost all my wine is off-site. I have a 60-bottle fridge in my house, a 50-bottle fridge in my office, and boxes everywhere. My strategy sucks but the wine is safe.

I keep ~300 bottles at home in a large wine cabinet in my office, with ~25 bottles in an under counter kitchen fridge. No rationale as to that amount other than I don’t have to pay fees to store it offsite. The rest of my stuff is offsite or sitting at retailers waiting to ship (a little over 700 bottles total).

It fluctuates, anywhere between 50 to 100

About 50…Some white burgs, some champagne, a few Germans, some pinot, some bordeaux, some cab and a sweet wine

I think 200 is the minimum… I don’t want to have to go to storage all the time and dig through boxes just to refill the fridge. Plus I like to have options and keep my nice bottles in reach, just in case :slight_smile:

Up until now I’ve always just had a small fridge with 30 or so bottles at home with most everything off site. It’s always been a problem and definitely not ideal. I’m about to get a LeCache modular wine room for the house and will initially have about 400 bottles that I’ll bring back as stuff I’m ready to consume now or in the short term.

I keep about 12 bottles at home in a small wine fridge and 325 at an offsite location. I visit the offsite frequently enough that I can restock my home unit regularly.

I have a small wine fridge at home now. I keep 30-45 bottles in there. The rest is offsite. It’s not difficult to go to my offsite every month or so to get more for home if needed/wanted.

+1

Same as Tariq. 12-16 at home in a small wine fridge, 4 laying flat and 8-12 standing upright to let sediments settle. I move stuff to my house from storage when I intend to consume it in the next month or so.

Also anywhere between 24-48 of daily drinker type stuff that I’m not aging, and will be consumed in the next 6 -12 months. Generally inexpensive champagnes, and misc stuff I find at Costco.

Offsite storage is only 10 min away so its easy for me to pop in whenever I need to add a few more bottles to the fridge.

I keep onsite (a) bottles to have handy for gifts or (b) bottles I intend to drink (not age, which is why the offsite exists…). I have 16 bottles unit in a closet (where I took the bottom shelf out so I can store bottles upright that I plan to drink over coming months/settle sediment etc.), a shelf in the refrigerator for sauternes and other bottles (call it 4-6) and then I have a box of a couple odd bottles for “daily drinkers” for gifts or low key visitors where wine is appreciated but doesn’t need to be expensive (won’t get cooked this way, but not ideal storage). If I could do things differently, I would have had a bigger wine fridge as 16 is just slightly too small… I would have liked a 20 storage unit (25% more options!) or 24 to free up the bridge/or closet space. But it works and I am happy… I imagine this is the low end of what someone would want. When weather cools down, I will take direct delivery of some bottles currently pending and just keep another 2 cases in the apartment. I can get deliveries from my offsite 2-3 days forward, so I haven’t had issues obtaining wine.

60 at home in an under the counter wine fridge, and it’s close to but not quite enough to be entirely practical. 100 would mean less juggling between off-site (~1350) and home.

I have a 500-btl cabinet at home that’s about 2/3 full. The rest is offsite.

Around 160-170 normally. My strategy is to take all the bottles I am going to cellar for at least 5 years to the offsite.

About 250-300 at home between a Le Cache cabinet and a wine fridge in the kitchen.

I have around 300 off-site, and have a 40 bottle fridge at home. I try and keep the fridge total under 30, as that leaves enough space to stash a decanter. Off site is only a 2 minute drive away, which helps in keeping a low tally at home.

Interesting that many of you, like me, keep so few at home.

It used to not be an issue for me, as my storage facility was like 6 blocks away. When it closed, I shed some tears. Now my storage place is about 20 minutes away, no longer than convenient. The flip side is, I’m leaving some wines alone that I might otherwise be tempted to pop too early.

My cellar at home stores 470ish bottles. I can fudge that a few bottles in my bulk shelf space. I try to get the most expensive bottles home and everything I want to age long term into offsite. My collection is still mostly young so I’m filling space faster than I’m drinking. I expect to flip that in the next couple of years.