american wines suggestions?

Hello I’m new in this forum, I live in Italy so I don’t know a lot about american wines.
I’ve recently purchased few bottles of Overture from Opus One but I’ve still have to try.
Any suggestions about wines I should try (not only from California) also with low-medium budget?
thank you

Welcome to the forum. I am afraid your question is so open-ended that it will be difficult to give you a meaningful response. It’s sort of like asking whether there is any Italian wine worth trying!

Maybe you can tell us what kinds of wine you like and folks can try to give you some guidance.

Neal has some good comments. Another useful piece of info would be where you will be buying the wines.

Try’em all and buy the ones you like again.

Welcome. Obviously, your tastes are a key factor. Also, however, it will depend on what is available to you! Can you give an idea of some of the wines that you are contemplating trying?

I suggest you capitalize the A in America/American.

This, for sure. If the question is “American wines you can find in Italy to try,” the answer will be quite different than if you are able to shop in good stores in the US.

We’d all love to help, so give us some more information about what you like (could be in terms of Italian wines that you like and ones you don’t like), as well as where you will be trying to source them, and you’ll get some great responses.

Thanks for joining the forum here.

Welcome! This is a very good place to get information. Do you like white and red wines? Do you like syrah, cabernet or pinot? Maybe you have not tried all these grapes yet. Most wines come in a big, bold, ripe style or a more light gentle, feminine style. These are hugh general statements. Not all wines can be put into these boxes, but it will give us an idea of some starting suggestions.

And what is your specific low-medium budget?
Welcome.

First of all thanks for your replies!
Well, I know my question was so general…but also making a list of the wines I like would be so long.
I mean I would like to try something that represent the territory something characteristic of a certain zone. Example, I live in the prosecco area, I don’t like it a lot (except few vineries) but it’s representative of the area.
Anyway, american wines that you can find here in Italy are 95% from California (example you can check vino75.com or tannico.it)
And about my personal taste I like both white and red and also sparkling and fortified. I like the style of alsatian whites (gewurz, riesling, muscat, pinot) but also from Alto Adige (gewurz, chardonnay), Collio area (sauvignon, friulano, ribolla) . Then chablis and burgundy chardonnay and blends like white chateauneuf du pape.
About red I love amarone, valpolicella ripasso, brunello di montalcino and bolgheri blends (sassicaia etc…), then chateauneuf du pape, pauillac, pomerol reds.
Budget I like to buy few bottles from 50 to 250€ and a more with 10-20€

Zinfandel for starters
Carlisle, Bedrock, Ridge, Limerick Lane for starters if you can find them.

Ceritas Chardonnay might be a tough ‘get’ but worth it if you happen upon one.

Give the guy a chance. No way can he get Carlisle, Bedrock or Ceritas and probably not Limerick Lane. I looked at Vino.75 and the selection is very limited and omits a huge portion of the price spectrum. It’s either very cheap or very expensive. I went to Winesearcher and rigged it for California wines in Italy. There appears to be a place called Millesima-Italy that has some good Cali wines you might consider - Ridge Monte Bello and Phelps Insignia. I seem to think they are not even in Italy but will ship there, but it’s hard to tell from their website. You’re not going to find any of the boutique stuff we get here unless you find a friend coming from the US to Italy who can hand carry stuff.

yes I know millesima they have excellent wines.
I think their warehouse is somewhere near Bordeaux , if I’m right the only problem is that they sell only full original case not single bottles.
But I’ll give a look ! thanks!

thank you! I’ll try to find here in Italy or at least in Europe these references!

Jay is correct that those Zins might be tough to find, but they are worth some inquiring.

Ridge Geyserville - but really anything by Ridge.
If you can find it, Stony Hill Chardonnay

Derek,

We hope that you do not get a bad impression of all Americans just because of this one jackass.

thank you!
and don’t worry :slight_smile:

Chards from Oregon! I’m drinking more of that than White Burg these days.