No more >$50 red Burg purchases for a decade!

Grabbed some of the Lopa offer today on the Chevy Vaucrains. Given what I already had, and what I’ve purchased over the last year or two, and other constraints like money and storage space, I hereby declare that I’m done buying >$50 red Burgs until at least 2029.

Just needed to get that out there.

Good luck with that! I’m in a self-proclaimed “expansionary phase” and thus don’t have to hold myself to these sorts of things. But, someday, surely, this will be me. I wish you well. [berserker.gif]

What about half bottles for $25?

I give you less than 1 year before you break that rule. Haha

You’re an optimist, according to the Vegas books, where the o/u currently sits at two and a half weeks. [help.gif]

I love the <$50 Burgundy category now. Between Guillemot, Faiveley, and Bart, I could be totally happy.

I buy more <$50 than >$50, but I haven’t gone as overboard stocking up there, so I still have some flexibility. I don’t know Guillemot or Bart. In my cellar the <$50 group has a fair amount of Jadot 1er Cru Beaunes and Chevillon NSG VV from when they could be had under $40, and more recently some Pavelot, Boussey, Audoin, JJ Girard, and Michelot’s village NSG VV.

I used to buy more lower priced CdN, but once Bertheau Bourgogne was gone I mostly stopped. Where I find real value in lower end Burgundy are Mercurey, Marsannay, and Savigny.

One that I haven’t bought much of but probably should is De Villaine.

Why?

It isn’t any more likely to be true.

A brief spasm of optimism that putting it out there might make it otherwise. newhere

With nearly 500 bottles of Burgundy in the cellar and approaching age 60, I’m in no hurry to add bottles at $50+. There used to be an occasional bargain or sale, but those are now very few and far between. I still buy lower level daily drinkers but for the most part, no more purchases of GC or 1er Cru Cote D’Or.

RT

The OP does not rule about Burgundy by the glass at a restaurant, for more than $50. I have begun to see such menu items.

Another reason why:
Bordeaux is intellectualism.
California is hedonism.
Burgundy is masochism.

I’m not even sure why you would want it to be so unless you don’t like burgundy. Those who love it love mature burgundy the most. Unless you already have a big stash? Better to buy over the next few years and then stop.

There are some lovely burgundies under $50 but the better ones for aging are more money.

I’m like Richard, don’t need to buy as I have plenty (and even older) But once the burgundy prices shot up, I bought fewer bottles but focused on premier crus and the occasional grand cru and bought a lot more Beaujolais. 2 $20 bojos and one $80 burg was better than three $40 burgs (of course there are exceptions). Admittedly , I already had a good stash at that point.

Because I only have so much wine money and so much cellar space, and I’ve tried to abide by a budget/limit for all the various categories of wine I love, but between what I have and what I have on order, I’m failing miserably at doing so when it comes to the higher-end Burgs, though if I take 10 years off I should drink my stash down to where I could almost start buying more and still be in budget compliance. Were money and space not an object, or if >$50 Burg were the only wines I ever wanted to drink, then I would happily continue buying more. But since that’s not the case, I’m bemoaning the fact that my “just say no” button seems to be a bit on the fritz.

2010 Michelot Vaucrains @ $90 got me. But only a couple of bottles. Back on the wagon tomorrow, I promise.

champagne.gif

I think this just means OP will be buying more white burgundy >$50.