TN: 1997 White Cottage Ranch Vineyards Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon

Purchased two bottles some months back from Spectrum auctions, let it sit for 6 months after receiving it before I popped the first last night. Cork in pristine shape, and based on how it showed, leads me to believe that this bottle is representative of how it should present. Alcohol well in check in the mid 13’s, still showing some tannin although the blackberryish fruit was subdued, as the wine was dominated by an appealing dusty earthiness which is typical of Howell Mountain. I decanted it, and it opened up rather quickly. If I had to grade it, I’d say an 89. I don’t believe it will improve with further aging, so I will drink the other bottle sometime in the next few months.
white cottage 1997.jpg

Interesting, I found that 2008 did better in mountain vineyards than 2007, personally. Not sure I have ever seen this label. Thanks for sharing.

Brings back memories. Tasted there what seems like eons ago. Back then the wines were a bit on the rustic and coarse side. Looks like they closed sometime between 2009 and 2010 and then were acquired by Adler Fels. A guy named Dennis Johns ran the place and I vaguely remember meeting him way back in the early 90’s.

This was out there on the cheap back in the day. I’m glad it held up well!