2017 Scarecrow M. Etain

Anyone heard anything about the 2017 Scarecrow M. Etain?

Got the postcard last week and offered up to 6 bottles at $195/per.

Looking for feedback! Thanks!

Apparently they ramped up their production…

2016 vintage was 850 cases; 2017 was 2,050 cases

Does anyone know if Scarecrow production has increased 2.5x too?

Is the increased production the actual Scarecrow grapes? I thought I heard that there will be no Scarecrow in 2017. I could be completely wrong.

I also got the offer letter, and would love to know if the above were true. ‘Crow and M’Etain are one of the few lists I am buying from for 2017, and it would be interesting to know if they are or are not releasing the main bottling. Anyone know Celia or the folks over there?

I’m interested in this too. I’ve been on the list and I think this is the first time I’ve received an offer - allocated 6 bottles.

Pretty sure that was Screaming Eagle?

i ave not heard anything regarding Scarecrow not releasing a 2017

I just joined the list about 2 months ago and got an offer for 6 bottles.

Production is usually 1500 to 2000. 2016 was a very low production unusual year. 2017 looks higher than most but not dramatically so

On the fence here. $195 plus a 6 bottle commitment is causing hesitation.

Its first come first serve so I am guessing purchasing (or passing) will not impact your Scarecrow position like prior years?

B

It won’t as usual:

We are delighted to announce the upcoming 10th release of our Monsieur Étain Cabernet Sauvignon. As always, this 2017 vintage has been produced entirely from grapes grown on the J.J. Cohn Estate in Rutherford.

We were moved by the outreach of so many of you during the perilous fires of 2017, and are fortunate to share that all of our fruit was harvested and secured before smoke or fire affected the valley.

You will receive a written invitation soon with more details about this release, which opens in the first week of October. Orders will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note: past vintages have sold out in a matter of days.

As a reminder, the purchase of M. Étain has no bearing on your wait list position for a Scarecrow offering.

Finally, a cautionary note about ‘unsubscribing’; If you opt to unsubscribe when you receive any of our messages, we will be blocked from sending you any further email communication, including offers to purchase.

We encourage you to review the winemaker notes and harvest report from our team on this extraordinary vintage.

With gratitude and warmest wishes,

MIMI DEBLASIO, BRET LOPEZ and COCO LOPEZ-ANAGNOSTAKIS

Don’t need to purchase all 6 allocated. You’ll have the option to purchase up to three 2-packs in wood or a 6-pack in Kraft.

Looking at the case numbers from 2016 : M. Etain = 850 & Scarecrow = 2,000, and in the 2017 M. Etain notes they call 2017 as very similar to 2011.

In 2011 they had 750 cases of Scarecrow, and 1,300 cases of M. Etain so we should expect ~ 800 cases of Scarecrow because M. Etain is at 2,050

That gives me pause. Has anyone seen any tasting notes or review comments on this vintage?

“2017 was the most challenging growing season since 2011. Thankfully, the natural attributes of the site, the vineyard architecture, and the people involved made it possible to harvest each of the blocks at their optimal maturity.”

If it’s really packed in cheese, I’m all in.

I was offered 6, only taking 2. If they reduce my allocation next year, so be it.

Just got the reminder email but I think I’m passing this vintage.

Same here. I went overboard this fall…

ditto !