Help with buying a magnum of Burgundy near Beaune

(I also cross-posted this in the travel forum)

Hi,

I’m attending a wedding in Mailly-la-Ville next weekend and I’m hoping to buy a nice magnum of Burgundy to give as a gift while I’m there. Thinking of heading into Beaune early on the wedding day and hoping to locate something nice to gift them. Any suggestions on where and what?

Thanks,
Dave

Best is to visit a producer you like… possibly with a phone call before.

Other plan if no time nor knowledge: It is wine fair in supermarkets… you may find some good stuff at decent prices… alternative is on the main road between Beaune, Nuits, Vosne… you have quite a few wine producers who sell wine with age.
If you cannot be bothered, there are plenty of wine shops where you can get great advice but probably have to pay slightly higher price

From my report on a Burgundy trip a few years back:

Mon Millesime carries the latest vintages from some of the best producers. Prices are fair. But the real action is downstairs in their cellar area.

There are no steals to be found, but it’s an amazing collection of wines they have sourced from local cellars. There are cobwebs, dust and dampened labels – many from producers dating back to the ‘30s. It’s kind of like wandering through the shelves of a beloved used bookstore, evoking a time gone by. You feel the urge to purchase more out of nostalgia than true need. We bought a bottle of 1983 Corton Renardes from Michael Gaunoux for less than $200, thinking we’d open it for dinner on our last night in Beaune. I also purchased a magnum of Chambolle Musigny Charmes from Patrice Rion from 1998 – a producer and vintage I’ve had luck with in the past.

Like Matthew, I would recommend Mon Millesime. They are good guys and have an excellent selection.

The Athenaeum book store also has an excellent wine selection. The Grand Boutique du Vin off the avenue Charles de Gaulle a ways outside of town also has a great selection.

Jeremy, when I met you (way back in 2007), you sent me to a store in the main square in Beaune that had older Burgundy at fair prices - I bought some 2001 Drouhin Romanee St. Vivant there at a decent price (I think before we got together, you had gotten some older Trapet there). I have never been able to figure out again which store that was (not sure if it is still in existence). Do you remember the store.

Two other recommendations:

1. Drouhin’s winery is in the heart of Beaune. They have a pretty large store in front of the historic winery.

2. Rossignol-Trapet in Gevrey Chambertin is an excellent winery that usually has wine to sell. You might contact them. Don’t know if they have magnums.

You guys are awesome, thank you!

Follow-up question…does anyone in burgundy have a futures program? Ideally I’d get them an IOU for a Mag of 2019 wine to commemorate their wedding year…

I predict in the future the prices will be higher…if you find out anyone who does this, let me know. I suspect that there is little interest in futures offerings with most producers. If they have a good reputation, practically everything from name producers is fought over by importers these days like a juicy bone.