TN: 2017 Emidio Pepe Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo (Italy, Abruzzi, Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo)

Almost out of these already…second to last bottle is drinking fantastico tonight [drinkers.gif] …my last note on this is still spot on…so I’m lazying this one up. Jumped on wine searcher to reload…but ZERO wines for sale in the good ol USA! [help.gif] If anyone has a sighting of some of these, please let me know! Grazie

• 2017 Emidio Pepe Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo - Italy, Abruzzi, Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo (09/27/2019)
    More like a lighter transparent red than a Rose’…pretty color…nose full of cherries and raspberries crushed with dirty feet(in a good way!)…red licorice, dried flower and herb garden florals. Juicy and full flavored Rose’ here, showing a tangy and tart acidity, with some tannic edge to it…yet, surprisingly polished for such rustic wine. The flavors and florals are wonderful…the brightest of fruit and herb gardens in full bloom…LOVE the vibrant cherry ala Chambolle in this…also some sneaky tar and cinnamon stick spice. Crushed minerality really add a nice saline character that shapes the sweet fruit well, and gives it a solid structure. This is just fantastic imo…much more of a wine than just a Summer poppin Rose’. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

So these are the Euro version bottles? Not the older vines versions that come the US?

1 Like

Some bottles are labelled Rosato
vino-emidio-pepe-cerasuolo-igt-biologico.jpg

Popped one of these this summer, Buzz,
You’re description was spot on. Truly beautiful wine. Mine was from Envoyer, which I’m told imports the European younger vine version, but I had no complaints. If so, it might be a reason it was so ready to drink right out of the gate.

One of my absolute favorite wines tasted this year. The combination of fruit, herbal and almond nutty notes gave this “light red” an ethereal yet powerful presence. Superb wine.

Tom

There is only one Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo from Emidio Pepe, there is not an old vine and a young vines wine, there is just the one wine. It is not exported through official channels to the United States. The winery prefers to sell it in Italy. Bottles sold in the US are grey market.

The 2011 vintage of the wine was denied the Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo appellation, I believe over reasoning relating to the color of the wine, and for that vintage the wine was labelled Rosato. It was not a different bottling.

Thanks for clearing that up, Levi!

So which wine is different in the two markets, if you don’t mind reminding us, please?

I have had very good experiences with the Tiberio Cerasuolo which is easier to find and priced very well.

Not quite as savory but worth a try if you are enjoying this region and style.

RELOADED! Envoyer has pre arrival 2018 for $49.

The Trebbiano d’Abruzzo and the Montepulciano d’Abruzzo.

Bureaucracy at its finest.

Oh no…here we go again! [head-bang.gif]

I’ll be happy when this winery calls a spade a spade and everyone gets the same wine.

This is one of my favorite wine discoveries of all time. Had the 2017 earlier this year with sushi in Maui (brought to dinner by a generous friend), and was mesmerized. After searching high and low with no luck in the US, I ended up ordering a case from an Italian retailer at the all in cost of 36euro/bottle. Took almost 2 months to show up, but the wine was safe and sound and is every bit as delicious as I remember. The Tiberio is a solid alternative, though indeed lacks the depth of the Emidio. Great wine, great note.

FYI…Loaded up on the 19 @ Sommpicks for $52(4+ bots discount)…and it IS the true Cerasuolo and not labeled Rosato!