Wines with friends

Last night’s dinner was with friends who just returned from three weeks mostly in Menerbes, France, so we had to hear all about it. The weather was a little cool and misting so it was a good night for some comfort food and good wines.

Roasted figs with chèvre and balsamic vinegar, marcona almonds, Smoking Goose charcuterie
Smoked whitefish wrapped in smoked salmon with a spring lettuce salad.
Hachis Parmentier with duck confit
French apple cake

2008 Dom Perignon - I’ve seen all the notes so I thought I’d jump in a bottle recently purchased at Costco. Almost clear with lots of mousse; a great biscuity Dom nose, but the wine was tight and almost unyielding. In trying to compare my first taste of the 96 right after release, the 08 seems a little more compact and needing a few years to settle than the 96 at the same time frame.

NV Vilmart Cuvee Rubis - Disgorged 2017 (I like that on the back of the bottle - finally someone did this) light strawberry color with a nose of the same. The wine had nice body, very creamy, and showed well after the Dom.

1981 Chateau Margaux - Purchased on release for $27 right after the '82 reviews came out. Uncorked with the Durand a couple hours before pouring, the color was still a youthful dark red. The nose was full bore Margaux with violets and dark fruits. For the first hour or so this wine held together fairly well but then with the lack of fruit, the tannins started to show. Probably seen better days but still a nice compliment to the hachis parmentier.

2013 Tokaji 5 puttonyos - golden color with tropical dried fruit aromas and flavors; full bodied sweetness but not cloying. Lovely with the cake.

hachis parmentier = shepherd’s pie, n’est-ce pas? Sort of like calling toast pain grillé, sounds way better! Glad you saved the burgundy for me.

And I’ll pour some burgundy with this dish for you soon…It was really good.

Great evening Jerry, 2 bubbles, an old Bordeaux and something sweet to sip later. Can’t tell if the “so we had to hear all about it” is anticipation or dread. Either way thanks for sharing notes.

If I remember correctly, Jerry’s originally from the mid-west. We like our Shepard’s Pie whatever it’s called! Hachis Parmentier sounds good to me, with Bordeaux or Burg.

Kris - we spent a week with them in Menerbes last year and unfortunately couldn’t make it this year so we wanted to relive their time this year vicariously.

Brad - yes that midwest upbringing is impossible to lose. Basically a fancy shepherd’s pie with porcini, duck confit, and black truffle butter in the mashed potatoes. So good but next time it’s with an aged Burg.

For those of you on Instagram my pictures are at - HeyHorns

For those who do not know French:

Hachis Parmentier = Spuds.

Dan Kravitz

Sounds like a pleasant evening Jerry. Could have been a great evening with a Burg or two!

Agree. I had an 89 Armand Pommard Epeneaux standing up and ready to go but with only three of us drinking we had enough wine.

Always enjoy your notes, Jerry. Thanks.

Am I interpreting this correctly that you used duck confit instead of ground beef to make the hachis? That’s interesting.

Yes - I basically used this D’Artagnan recipe - Duck Confit Hachis Parmentier Recipe | D’Artagnan

Sounds delicious although technically not a shepherds pie. (Nor hachis parmentier I think but I’m less sure of the correct protein in that, and it used a white wine sauce I think)
All very nit picky, sorry.
Not only does it sound terrific but also very wine friendly. I think I’ll give that a try!
(So many cottage / shepherds pie variants, I do a “Santa’s pie” at Christmas with venison, shiitake, red wine and a hint of seasonal spices).

Richard Flack - I’ve had hachis parmentier with duck confit several times in France so I think it is the proper term for this dish. And that is what d’Artagnan calls it in its recipe as well.

@heyhorns- i am now following you. @suz_cam