From sommelier to homeless....

“How a Tuxedoed Sommelier Wound Up Homeless in California
As life unraveled, a skilled wine steward joined the swelling ranks of homeless people in tents across the San Francisco Bay Area.”

Should be more about drug addiction and homelessness than being a sommelier and homeless. Sad that addiction takes down talented people.

Thanks for sharing article, sad story.

I saw that article yesterday and wasn’t sure what the point of it was. Is the reader supposed to feel sorry for him? He has five kids by three different women, stole from the places he worked to support his crack habit, and now he’s on the street.

It’s not like he’s being paid so little that he has to live in a tent and wash his tuxedo in the river. He made a bunch of stupid choices and threw his life down the toilet. My take-away was don’t get involved with crack.

I would have felt for him had he suffered some injury, lost his sight and was consequently unable to work as a somm, or something like that. But he’s like that officer in Dallas who shot the guy living in his own house. He made a bunch of choices that put him in a situation.

To his credit, at least he’s trying to get out of it and at least in the article, he didn’t come across as blaming others.

Yes, it’s mostly a story about addiction. The somm part is relevant except for helping to accentuate how far he’s fallen. Hope he can recover.

-Al

At least he’s in San Francisco which is pretty generous towards its street people. If he’d been in Yolo, they would have brought him over here.

I guess the glamorous life of Somms as Netflix makes it seem isn’t everything thing they advertise.

He’s in Oakland.

-Al

Oakland’s not bad. Isn’t that the Bay Area’s Brooklyn?

In some ways. FWIW, part of Oakland was originally a small town called Brooklyn.

-Al

Hate the sin love the sinner. I pray he finds stability in his life.

Thanks for sharing the article.

Hopefully he pulls it together.

Uhhhh, Al?? I thought being a Somm was about as low as you can go!!! [snort.gif]
But I agree, it’s just another story about how much drug addiction can wreak destruction in one’s life.
That’s the real story here.
Tom