TNs--Dinner in Cleveland with Loren and friends

Somewhat delayed, sorry for that, but after seeing the Bastubas in Detroit, I drove around the lake to meet up with Cleveland wine friends. Big thanks to Tommy Kramarz for doing the bulk of the organizing. Some new as well as familiar faces, and Loren and Jane were able to join us near the end of the night (after a comedienne’s show :slight_smile: ).

Besserat Bellefon Brut NV

Nice mousse here. Salty but with some sparkly yellow fruit. Mists away some in finish

2017 Tempier Bandolier Rose

Tom gets some tangerine on the nose, which I can see. While its usual sturdy and sharply defined self on the tongue, this was quite a bit sweeter than I’m used to. Might be a very interesting creature in 3 years

2015 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis Valmur

Almost lushly perfumed nose, the aromatics are flowery and lime and apple and get you interested. Already splendid balance and poise. Seashell, sweet-edged lemon and a bit of mint later, yet it defines itself as Chablis at the same time. After taking a small dip for me, is this producer back? I do love Valmur, mind, but a super showing

2016 Château de Vaudieu CdP Blanc Clos du Belvedere

One of mine, adored by those at table. Aroma has lots of soloists, with lilac, peach pit and vanilla bean all having a say. Just-right luscious and creamy with bits of cornmeal and plantain. Maybe a little warm at the sides. Solid example, though not sure it’s an ager.

2013 Kenmeter Ries

Dave Tietz brought this and I’m glad he did as I didn’t get the chance to stop in there on my whirlwind Finger Lakes tour. Not much in the bouquet, on the palate there is some development discernible. Sweetish apple and some crabapple notes perhaps, but missing a level of character. Glad to try

2005 Cigliani I Figli Barbaresco Serraboella

Gorgeous scents of roses, strawberry, asphalt. All the fixings. Very good I’m mouth, almost polished but still with some spine. Dark cocoa and more depth with air time, should peak in 5 years. Thanks to Dave for bringing this too

1997 Terrena Chianti Classico

I think it was a riserva. Out of Tommy’s grab bag, this was quite nice and settled—and by no means on any downhill slide—with plum jam and leather notes playing up

2017 Treasure Seeker Propaganda Cab

Big but not too big. Chocolate, blueberry and blackberry scents are repeated on the palate with a small mocha add

2016 Sojourn Riddle PN

Bouquet had some spice and light cola notes to bright red fruit. This has lots of energy dans la bouche, yet still with the sleekness I like in these. For me, the Riddle vineyard is a little more elemental and wild than, say, the Ridgetop or Sangiacomo, but I like that

2004 Domenico Clerico Barolo Pajana

Fine bring from Loren of a producer I like. Smoky quality to the aroma gives way to chewy delicious black fruit compote. Already a suppleness developing. In a great place right now. My friend Dave preferred this much to the barbaresco.

2013 K Vintners Motor City Syrah

Tommy went back into the grab bag for this. And the nose does pick up some motor oil along with an interesting slash of rhubarb. Big, borders on being huge—AFWE stay away. Rich blackberry and cassis jam fill the mouth. Begs for venison or rack of lamb

Hi Mike,

Just saw this. Sorry I missed much of the night, but it sounds like it was a good time. Glad I could join you guys for a few glasses though.