2014 Ramonet Chassagne...thought blanc...got rouge.

Ordered a sixer of these a few months ago thinking I was getting 2014 Ramonet CM blanc…always excited to drink Ramonet blanc anytime, especially 2014. Received the wine today, and was shocked to see red instead of the shimmering golden yellow. Went back to website I ordered from, and it wasn’t clearly stated blanc or rouge…just JC Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet. But if you look at the details of the wine, it did say “red burgundy wine”…my bad! But “usually” I see sellers selling Chassagne Montrachet wines are selling blanc…unless stated “rouge”? But again…my bad. Not too bent out because cracked one…and the rouge is REALLY GOOD! Such wonderful pretties of red fruits and Chambolle-like femininity. Don’t mind this mixup in the least!

[cheers.gif]

Everyone chases the whites. They make outstanding reds too.

The rouges are very, very good. But, they are much cheaper than the whites. How much did you pay?

$50

Yummmmmmmm.

Just drank a 97 Ramonet Chassagne rouge Morgeot in 375 and it was lovely. Nicely mature but still with fruit and nice length.

Villages or premier cru

village

Red Chassagne is underrated! Niellon, Lamy and Moreau, among others, are producing very fine examples. And apparently now it is actually selling, which was not the case a decade ago. The Ramonet reds can age very well indeed, 1971 1er crus are drinking beautifully, and I have some older vintages that I need to find the occasion to open.

I’ve went pretty deep in the 15/16 Ramonet reds; found the Clos de la boudriette and Clos st Jean for ~65/btl and bought by the case.

I like them as relatively early drinking reds, personally. A number of other producers making good 1ers too.

Seems like about a fair price. That would have been a real steal in the US for the White.

Try aging Ramonet’s premier crus.

I also got the 15 and 16 CSJ.
$55 per. Looking forward to drinking them.

I’ve laid down a few, but I just find them delicious young. Wasn’t really meant as a statement of optimal drinking window :slight_smile:

Lets not let the cat out the bag, their whites are getting way out of the reach; I hope their reds don’t follow suit.

I made the same mistake with the ‘15s. It did feel a little like a bait and switch when I opened the box , but I’m looking forward to trying something new -so no harm no foul.

I’ve only had the 1992 Boudriotte. Super wine.

The Ramonet reds are a hidden secret, and that’s a fair price. Enjoy, and then buy some blanc as well.

SHHHHHHHHHH!!! It’s like one of the only real values left in Burgundy.

On a serious note, people forget that CM was primarily a PN village until relatively recent history, when the wines of “Le Montrachet” began commanding such extravagant prices. The soils, especially around the Abbaye, have more iron and clay and are thus well suited for PN, whereas Chardonnay prefers the limestone soils on the slopes.

If you’ve never been to the area, or even if you have, this little 10 min video does a great job giving a high level overview of the geography and soils of PM, St. Aubin, and CM: The Côte de Beaune explained by Jean-Pierre Renard - YouTube