2008 Vintage Champagne Ten Years After Release?

Concerns regarding the Pinot component of the 1996’s and problems with the Chardonnay of 2002, from what were both regarded to be outstanding vintages for Champagne. What deficiencies will we be hearing about after going long on the 2008 releases, ten years down the road?

glass half-empty kind of guy ?

Hearing 96 Krug is not drinking well will do that to you.

Unnecessary.

I think it’s a great question. 10 years should be no problem. 20 may be a different story. The last great vintage for long term aging was probably 88. I’m not thrilled with the way 96 Salon, Krug, Clos des Goisses, and SWC have aged, and I see some general similarities between 96 and 08 vintages, with the wines maybe a little more nimble and with a ultralight fresh acidity in 08. There should be some wines that go a really good distance and I don’t see anything considered cellarable not doing very well ten years out. Dom and Cristal should be still really young; SWC likely a crapshoot, LGD surprisingly good in 08 and should age really well too. What specific deficiencies they may exhibit at age 10, I don’t know if I could speak to.

Is it that the '96’s haven’t aged or there’s cork variation Greg? Last few bottles of '96 Salon I have had have been nothing but splendid.

The bottles I’ve had recently of Krug 96, Dom 96, and Churchill 96 have been stunning.

96 Taittinger Comte de Champagne bottles that I have tasted in the last year have been stunning

+1… 96 Dom P too

Maybe I’m just on a bad streak but last bottle of 96 krug for me about 4 months ago a bit tired, last swc a year of so ago was clearly on downslope, 96 salon as well but not to the extent of SWC. 96 clos des goisses this friday was very good but still showing advanced color and weight. Jeremy, had not heard cork variation was prevalent in 96. Is that the accepted explanation?

I will take all of your poorly-aging 96s champagnes (and 1990 for that matter) off your hands for you. I will even waive charges for this service.

96 krug has been fantastic for me.

That’s really good to hear. I have three bottles left and wasn’t planning on revisiting until age 25. I was aware of the Chardonnay issues in 2002 but knew nothing about potential problems with Pinot in 1996, until reading it here in another active thread.

+1
Tasted twice in the last three months. Pretty much the same wine from two different sources, and both brilliant.

Had a 2008 Clicquot and Guy Charlemagne over the weekend. Both in a good place but VC was my favorite.

I’ve had 10 Champagnes from the 2008 vintage this year and there hasn’t been a dud in the bunch. Here are my notes:

• 2008 Moussé Fils Champagne Special Club Cuisles - France, Champagne (10/7/2019)
    2nd time I have had this wine. Purchased this bottle at the winery. 100% Pinot Meunier. Still showing very well and aging extremely nicely for a Pinot Meunier. A creamy texture with notes of brioche and apple. Lively and fresh bead. Rich finish. Just a wondeful champagne from probably the best Meunier producer. 94 points.
  • 2008 Robert Moncuit Champagne Grand Cru - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/18/2019)
    Opened by Mark. Disgorged in 2014. 100% Chardonnay. Very creamy with notes of chalk, vanilla wafer and apple. 93 points
  • 2008 Michel Gonet Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Prestige Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/18/2019)
    Grapes sourced from Le Mesnil sur Oger and Oger. Extra Brut with 4g/l dosage. Funky nose with hints of cauliflower. Better on the palate. Notes of citrus and minerals. The first of 3 bottles. Clean finish. 90 points.
  • 2008 Paul Bara Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (4/27/2019)
    Opened by AllRed. Disgorged 7/17. 90% Pinot Noir and 10% Chardonnay sourced from Grand Cru vineyards around Bouzy in the Montagne de Reims. Pale straw color. Very fresh and lively. Notes of chalk, citrus and minerals. Solid bead. 93 points.
  • 2008 J. Lassalle Champagne Premier Cru Cuvée Angeline - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (3/30/2019)
    The estate has been making this Champagne in the best vintages since 1973. 8g/l dosage. 500 cases made. Disgorged 6/24/14. 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay from Premier Cru vines which average 50 years old. Pale yellow color. This had an upfront bead. Tart profile with good secondary notes. You can certainly detect the higher sweetness from the dosage in this bottle. Bread dough, pear and almond paste on the palate. Fuller bodied. 93 points
  • 2008 Champagne Godmé Sabine Champagne Grand Cru - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (3/11/2019)
    Opened by Mark and drank next to a 2006 Hugues Godme (Sister and Brother). This was my preferred bottle of the 2 based on it’s freshness and purity. The superior vintage likely played a part as well. 92 points.
  • 2008 Franck Bonville Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Millésimé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (2/17/2019)
    Opened by Mark. From magnum. Light gold yellow color. Much deeper, richer and more serious than when I last had this 5 years ago. Minerally with apricot and apple notes. Complex. 92 points.
  • 2008 Lancelot-Pienne Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Marie Lancelot - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (1/5/2019)
    2nd time I have had this wine with consistent notes. My lone bottle which was purchased at the estate. Not imported into the US. This is the top wine made by this house. 100% old vine grand cru Chardonnay from some prestigious parcels around Cramant including Les Bourons, Les Buzons, Les Gouttes d’Or, Les Fourches du midi and Les Moyens du couchant. Given a low dosage of 4 gm/ltr. Doughy nose. Rich texture with notes of toast, vanilla cream and white fruit. 93-94 points.
  • 2008 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Special Club Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (1/5/2019)
    My first bottle. Made from two plots of old vines planted before 1952, one in the grand cru of Oger called ‘Chenys’ and one in Mesnil called ‘Derriere Maison’. This is one of the last Special Clubs being made by Launois as they have left the Club Tressoirs. Light yellow color. Very bright and lively at this stage. Notes of almonds, chalk and brioche. Aggressive bead. Very youthful and will benefit from some aging. With time this could rival the 2002 when it was at it’s peak. 93+ points.
  • 2008 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut La Grande Dame - France, Champagne (1/5/2019)
    Opened by AllRed. Pale straw color.pastry dough aromas. Notes of fresh lemons and limes with a fine minerality. Solid bead. Give this plenty of time. 92-93+ points.

VM

The first suggestion in another thread that there may be “issues” with 2008 Champagne. A peek into what those of us who went long have coming as this vintage ages?

+1 to both of these & the '96 Oenotheque still feels unbelievably young.

I was highly disappointed with the '96 SWC when I opened my last two bottles over the last 3 years.

I too have really enjoyed the 2008’s I’ve had. I think of them all the Dom & Crystal are going to reward the most time in the cellar. I’m curious to see what happened with the Vilmart CdC & PP Chetillons.

• 2008 Pierre Péters Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Speciale Blanc de Blancs Les Chetillons - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (4/4/2020)
    This is in a really lovely spot…A light golden yellow in the glass with scents of apple, chalk, with a whip of dehydrated pineapple. The palate is clean, leading with lemon, lime, and candied ginger. This is just plain delicious…however, I expect there’s still a ton of upside on this. I’m going to do my best to leave my remaining bottles alone for some time…
  • 2008 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Extra Brut - France, Champagne (3/27/2020)
    This is gorgeous and lifted on the nose, full in the mouth, with an elegance and poise with bright fruit, high acidity, and a purity of fruit that is just so delicious!! We paired this with jumbalaya & alligator…it was an excellent pairing. Outstanding!!
  • 2008 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Coeur de Cuvée - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (12/31/2019)
    This was tasted side by side with the 2007 & there was a slight preference for the 2007 as it seemed leaner, restrained, & more focused. This is an interesting wine, I’ve had three of them now since release & I think my preference for these may be much, much later in their evolution. I plan to hold my last bottle until at least 2023 in the hopes that it’s more in line with my preference. To be fair, this was also tasted in such a strong line-up of wines that my lack of enthusiasm should be taken with a grain of salt.
  • 2008 Louis Barthélémy Champagne Brut Saphir - France, Champagne (11/23/2019)
    There are moments when I really kick myself for not going with my gut feeling. I snagged 6 bottles for $22 at winebid.com and I wish I had bought a full case while it was still possible. This wine really does show the generosity and depth of a great vintage. Opened last night to pair with sushi and this matched the diversity of flavors from umami in the shiitake maki to the intensity of the wasabi this wine seemed to pair well with everything we ordered. Last night while this was tighter and more focused, notes of green apple, lime, and chalk were present. Tonight with the last 1/4 of the bottle there’s a depth and breadth to this that has shifted to notes of yellow delicious apple, lightly buttered yeast rolls, pear, and a lingering note of kiwi on the medium length finish. Outstanding! I should have bought more…
  • 2008 L. Aubry Fils Champagne Premier Cru Aubry de Humbert - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (7/20/2019)
    This was opened and tasted at a party. So this note isn’t meant to be detailed, but more of an impression. I was really pleased and this reminded me a lot of the 2006 of this wine but with a bit more tension and restraint. There’s enough structure and acidity to believe that this wine will age well for the mid-term. This is one of the better Champagne values out there that’s still under $75.
  • 2008 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne (6/16/2019)
    There is a delicacy and depth to this on the palate that reminds me of the 1996 back in the summer of ‘07. Both the nose and palate offer a depth that is rarely seen in young Champagnes I’ve had in the past. These will reward a long nap sideways.
  • 2008 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (6/16/2019)
    This really needed a good 4+ hours to open. I can finally understand why people say these are wines that should not be opened before 20+ years post vintage. I think I’ll try to check back in 9 more years. Outstanding!!!
  • 2008 Soutiran Champagne Grand Cru Brut Cuvée Millesimée - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/8/2019)
    This was a nice bottle of bubbles. Medium-full bodied, Med+ acidity, and lightly oxidative in style. I think a wine like this starts to highlight just how great some of the more prestigious growers really are. The 2008 Villarreal CdC from the other night outclassed this by a mile. Outstanding.
  • 2008 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Coeur de Cuvée - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (5/4/2019)
    This has fleshed out nicely since the last bottle I tasted in 2017. This is a lovely golden hue in the glass with scents of apple, almond, and lemon. The nose gives you a sense of the magnitude of the wine; it’s got both width and depth. There is this light caramel note initially before the medium-full palate shifts with higher acidity that leaves traces of lemon, kiwi, green apple, and chalk in the finish. Good news…these are finally ready to drink & enjoy!!

Posted from CellarTracker

great notes Kirk!