One Too Many

Got a few mates around for an early dinner last night. We probably opened one more bottle than we really needed on a Sunday night.

N.V. Laurent-Perrier Champagne Grand Siècle Grande Cuvée: A blend of 2002, 2004 and 2005. This is seriously classy. There are fresh apple and spiced pear aromas. It is creamy and full, with a relatively high dosage feel, but cut beautifully by balancing, minerally acidity. It is fine and super-long.

Jérôme Prévost Champagne La Closerie Extra Brut Les Beguines: Some bruised apple, citrus and bakery notes to the aroma. The palate is quite fresh and chalky.

2015 Henri Germain et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot Les Fairendes: Smells like a pine lime Splice. Tastes of exotic fruits and minerals. It has hood shape and a core of sweet fruit. The finish is quite bright and energetic.

2016 Domaine Christian Moreau Père et Fils Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos: The nose has an almost Sauvignon like gooseberry character along with saline minerality. The palate is full, ripe, round and peachy. It has fruit intensity and length but not the cut that I want from my Chablis.

2015 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux: A very fresh nose of preserved lemon and spice. It is full, rich, textured and powerful. Flavours build and it is dense and sappy on the back-end. Very youthful and in need of plenty more cellar time.

2015 Kin Erbaluce di Caluso: Complex aromatics of smoky mineral, restrained orchard fruits and citrus blossom. The palate really builds and is textural. It possesses red wine levels of dry extract and has an awesome saline minerality to the super-long finish.

2008 Domaine Ponsot Griotte-Chambertin, Grand Cru: There’s some meat and earth development on the nose. In the mouth there’s a core of ripe cherry fruit and plenty of savoury nuance. It is cut by a crisp line of minerally acidity and has good intensity and a long finish that really fans out.

2009 Domaine Château De La Tour Clos Vougeot Vieilles Vignes, Grand Cru: This is a deeply pitched, rich and powerful wine that is far too young, but has enough flesh and great balance to render it thoroughly enjoyable. There are dense black fruits and some meat and tar. It has great volume in the mouth and finishes with real presence and authority.

1985 Castiglion del Bosco Brunello di Montalcino Riserva: Has some mushroom and truffle development along with notes of cherry, leather and baked earth. It has a delicious core of sweet dark fruit and terrific earthy complexity. There’s still some chew from the structural elements and length of flavour is very good.

2015 Franck Balthazar Cornas Chaillot: A deeply pitched Syrah of ripe dark fruits, but so much plant matter nuance. It is inky, cerebral, savoury and layered. There’s some black olive tapenade, violets, blood plum and tar. It has great depth and proportioned and is not forced in any way. There’s no artifice, just pure Syrah joy.

Nice brace of wines.

Is the Balthazar open and giving at this stage of its brooding, brutish life, given the vintage? We may have to check in …

I also assume you had one too many cleansing ales as well! [truce.gif]

We had the 2015 Raveneau Butteaux last week, and your earlier note was a fun topic of discussion. We debated Ligurian honey vs honey as we know it. The conclusion was lost in the fog!

Hi Matthew, no problems cracking one now. Enough flesh there so that you wont get hurt. FWIW the '12 version is drinking so well at the moment. If you have any of those make sure you check in on one.

Being a School night we were very abstemious and left the cleansing ales in the Esky.

Brad, I do toss on a bit. I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between honey from a Ligurian bee or that of a Minneapolis bumble bee!

Somehow we knew that. :wink:

Those notes are as good as the wine sounds!

I agree that it was probably one too many. When I get together with two of my friends I have a strict limit of three bottles per person. I don’t want to overindulge.