How Long can a Finish Last?

Only a decade ago I thought 30 seconds was pretty good then came a full minute. Just read a retailers claim that this advertised wine finish will go on to the next morning! I’m not looking for that kind of commitment with my wine. [cheers.gif]

Are you talking about wine?

I thought Finish was a dish detergent? Or maybe he’s bringing up Otto??

I Otto be clearer?

I wouldn’t want wine aftertaste in my mouth for hours. That is just gross.

Not wine but when I sip on my Lot B I can still taste it the next morning

Victor, not used to reading the actual post? Wine mentioned twice. Sorry I couldn’t post a blind link to the retailer claim… newhere

I’m told that Indian Paan liqueur has one of the longest finishes of any drink. Not in a good way though.

[rofl.gif]

We talking the happy kind or otherwise? We may need to consult Sting.

-af

I have had wines where the perception of the finish have lasted minutes…I sort of think of those finishes like the rising & falling tide of the ocean. Wines that stick out to me as having had particularly long finishes all seemed to have age in common accept the last one…but maybe it was that they all had a higher level of RS?
1976 d’Yquem
1976 Klosterkeller Siegendorf Pinot Blanc Trockenbeerenauslese
1863 Miles Madeira Malvasia Solera
2012 Sine Qua Non Syrah Touché

I guess it depends on how long it is before you brush your teeth.

My ears are burning.

60.3579 seconds. Obviously.

It is among the most stupid descriptions used wine criticism in my personal and likely idiosyncratic opinion. Worse than “salinity” by far.

Robert, your post is a bit of a puzzle to me. I see a “between the lines” humor set-up in your question, and it has been picked up and playfully addressed. But I also think that there might be at least a semi-serious inquiry into how long a wine can have an aftertaste/finish. Putting aside my confusion (temporarily, at best)) I’ll give you this:
The finish and aftertaste is a very important part of my wine drinking pleasure. A pleasant and/or interesting aftertaste is like riding a good wave, to piggy back on Kirk’s comments. How long? A recent Musar eventually had a spicy warm finish that seemed to never end. Of course it did end, but it must have been many minutes later. [cheers.gif] -Jim

Originally Meant to be both, although I honestly didn’t write with the intent of the cringeworthy humor that is now too obvious. I do find the progressive one upmanship of the timing of finishes fairly funny though. Thanks for the honest replies.