TN: 2017 Tyler Dierberg Vineyard Chardonnay

I visited the winery in Lompoc this August and had never heard of them prior to my visit. Doesn’t really mean too much, I’m generally a Francophile when it comes to wine, with the old guard (or that style) of California Cabernet as an exception. But I have visited the Santa Barbara area vineyards before in 2006 and was familiar with some of the stalwarts like Melville, and very broadly speaking the stylistic difference of the wines from the region versus Northern California.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted their range of Chardonnays. I found them all to be weightless, crystalline/transparent and pure, yet full of punchy aromas and flavor.

An example would be the 2017 Dierberg Vineyard which was redolent of citrus notes like lime, salinity and a spine of minerality. Despite its upfront lithe character, there is a lot of power wound up here, amplified by acidity.

Will be hard to keep my hands off of the remaining bottles, if you’re like me and generally pooh-pooh Chardonnay (except in Champagne), give one from their range a try. If you’re in the area I’d recommend a tasting, their Pinot Noir range was also refined and elegant.

I agree, excellent wines, with a very Burgundy orientation. He learned as an assistant to Joe Davis of Arcadian, and he’s now embarking on a joint project with Étienne De Montille from Burgundy, so you can see the influences.

The wines aren’t cheap, but I’ve really enjoyed the dozen or so I’ve had to this point, both the pinots and chardonnays.

Sounds like something I need to keep an eye out for…

“Redolent of citrus notes” - who do you think you are Malinoski? Sounds like a great bottle.

Omg, I just realized who this is! Czyryca is back from the dead! Good to see you post, Peter

I’d be happy to share a bottle with you next time we’re at something together. I do think you (and many of our mutual wine-drinking buddies) would dig it.

Jud - lifted it right off the first page of his notebook.

Frenchie - never really gone just didn’t have much time to post!

Chris - you’re right, definitely not cheap but the 15% off for club members helps. Plus I would spend $75+ for similar quality in Chablis, Puligny or Meursault.

Justin does make nice acid-driven wines that would appeal to many on this board. He is also part of Lieu Dit, which makes some interesting wines, including a pretty killer cab franc in a more ‘Loire-like’ style out of fruit from the Happy Canyon AVA. As others have noted, pricing isn’t cheap, but it’s not outrageous if your palette aligns with his style.

Cheers.

Anyone try the new Cab from Tyler?

I did during the tasting in August. I recall it being really stacked, apparently very limited in terms of availability. Think it was around $100 but they didn’t have any to sell IIRC.

Morrell offered it for $76.

Thanks, by the sound of it this is a chard that fits me. Tylers PN’s have always been great.

Justin Willett is making what I consider to be one of top two of three Chardonnay I. California. I began tasting his wines when he had a scant few barrels at Central Coazt Wine Services in Santa Maria (2006). His new facility in Lompoc is spacious and impressive. I tasted the new wines with him in June during my two weeks on the Central Coast and visited his estate property and future vineyard in September. His Lieu Dit wines are spot on examples. Really surprised people are just hearing about him now.

His project and his wines do seem like the kind of thing that would have generated more buzz/hype around WB, but I guess that’s always true for many high quality projects out there. It can just be a certain set of circumstances which cause one winery to get the hype and others not to.

Their Pinot’s are sensational. I need to get hold of their Chard, sounds wonderful!

What does the club entail?

Peter was kind enough to bring this bottle to my house on Sunday. I share his enthusiasm for the high quality. No doubt that if this wine had been served to me blind and I had to guess California or France, I’d say France. Showing rather young (of course…it’s a 2017), it was still delicious, elegant and seamless yet with sneaky persistence that gives me hope it’ll age well. Unfortunately it is on the pricey side…

Wine Exchange has the 2015 for $48. I think it’s quite solid value at that price.

You can choose either 6 or 12 bottles shipped twice a year. 15% off retail prices and you can choose all white like I did, all red or a mix.

They were really good. But the Chards were showstoppers.