A visit to Frog's Leap TN: 2016 Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford

What an awesome Sunday we had at Frog’s Leap. We tasted on the back porch of the Vineyard house on a beautiful day. I highly recommend visiting. I’ll add some more notes to this. They are quite generous and happy to open library wines. In addition, we tasted the 12, 08 Cabernet and 03 Merlot which was a real treat.

• 2016 Frog’s Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (10/21/2019)
    Tasted at Frog’s Leap winery. Consistent with the house style this is a mid weight classically made Rutherford Cabernet. Bright deep nose of dark cherry and a bit of plum. Similar notes on the palate with moderate tannin and acidity. This has some nice depth and complexity now and a clean bright finish. This drinks well now but given a few more years I expect it will pick up a bit of weight and depth. We also tasted the 12 and 08 which were wonderful. If you’re looking for more classically made Cabernet with little oak influence and not over ripe flavors then Frog’s Leap is for you. It’s also a terrific value especially at the club price of $55. Excellent and recommended. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I picked up a 375ml to try tonight with flat iron steak.

Damn this is great juice. Thanks for the note which I largely agree with!

Reminds me of a slightly less stern and structured Mayacamas Cabernet. Just a hint of green bell pepper if you really want to critique it but this is one of the best $50ish Cali Cabernets I’ve ever tasted.

Good to hear you enjoyed Peter. I really expect this to improve with time and pick up a bit of weight. I’m going to be buying some back vintages that are still out there. Worth joining the mailing list as well for pricing and access to library wines.

That’s actually a good thing to some of us! Remember classic Togni?

I like this wine as well, except it was around $65 to me locally.

RoberT- Luekens in Tampa has it for $55 which is around the wine club price if you make it over this way.

What’s the deal with visiting?

Do you mean in general ? We had a great visit from when I posted this original note. Rory Williams reached out as well to connect but unfortunatley we just missed him. He offered to show us around and we’ll definetly take him up on that when we visit next year.

Had the 16 from half bottle this week. It was just singing. Great wine.

Yeah, just what’s the general deal? Walk in, appointment, both? Fee? What do you get to taste? How long are you there? Give us the scoop. Thanks.

I would make an appt but if you go off season and not a weekend you might be able to walk in. They do charge a fee but ours was waived as we bought wine and joined the wine club. We did the patio tasting which you do need to reserve. This is from memory but believe we tasted

Current release SB, Chard, Merlot, Zin and Cabernet along with a few library wines:
2003 Merlot- excellent, reminded me of an older bdx.
2008 Cabernet- very good.
and I think an older Cab. They had several library wines open and were very generous. Also repours if requested.

The winery is a beautiful location to taste and walk the grounds at your leisure. Overall I highly recommend especially if you prefer wines more classically made.

Cheers

Local Costco had this wine for $45 and it is a bargain at that price.

Thanks, Fred. That sounds really nice.

Here’s a link to their various tastings: Frog’s Leap Winery - Visit

My wife and I visited there a few years ago and had a nice time. It’s a lovely property. The tour is highly informative for those who might be less knowledgeable about vineyard practices and winemaking.

We’ve been club members there for years. One of our favorites.

Great farming there.

Robert- Total Wine, ABC and Leukens have it for $50 in Tampa. Have to think TW and ABC should have in Orlando. I’ve retasted and conitnue to add when I see it.

Excellent, thanks for sharing. Will check it out this weekend.

I still think this is one of the best examples of what a classic Napa cabernet can be. I’ve had this wine 5 or 6 times now. I just am finishing up a bottle that’s been vacuum seal three times this week. I gets better and better with the good kind of green coming through. Light in its feet, low oak, and a steal at $44. I need to pick up a case for the long haul.

I’m drowning in great wine… but I’m a wine club member at exactly one winery in Northern California, and it’s Frog’s Leap. The wines are just C-L-A-S-S-I-C.

Had a gift card for Total Wine to use, and this is the wine I went with, even surprising myself (to be buying CA Cab). Ended up buying two.