TN: 2010 Forman Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

Wine of the year for me so far. A classic Forman and one of my favorite Napa Cabs. Happy to have more as this will be fun to follow over many years.

2010 Forman Cabernet Sauvignon- USA, California, Napa Valley (10/24/2019):
The 2010 I believe is just starting to enter it’s drinking window. Brought to dinner and followed over 90 minutes after decanting. The wine is very deep in every aspect of color, nose and taste. It has dark fruit showing black raspberry and plum along with cassis and some smoke and mineral elements that add a layer of complexity and depth that separates this from many other Cabs and put’s it in the extraordinary level for me. Nice acidity and fine grain tannins support an extremely long finish that coats your palate. This was at it’s best after one hour and it kept rising to new heights. Very ripe and modern but classically made managing oak influence. Open now and decant for an hour or 2 or let it continue to develop as it still is young and built to last for many years. 97 points

Cheers

Completely agree, Fred. We had it side-by-side with the '09 when this wine came out and everyone in the group preferred the '10. Thanks for the note!

Ed

Ed- Haven’t tried one but think the 13 will be very similar. Last vintage i really loaded up on.

I love 10 as a vintage and they are starting to come around. I’ve found I generally prefer 10 to 9 on many of my favorite wines.

Thanks for the note. I had one of mine last night. It is a great wine with many, many years of life ahead.
I’ll try to hold off on my last bottle and source more. Also need to hide my 2013s.
If there is such a thing of Napa value, this is one of them.

Last week had my first from a case of 2013’s. It was a beauty and I expect it will still develop for a few more years. It needed a 90 minute decant to fully open. Still has a decent amount of tannin. We had it with a 2010 Blankiet Estate. The Blankiet was excellent but lost some of it’s punch with air. It didn’t shut down and it was very aproachable on opening with the tannins mostly resolved. The Forman got my vote between the 2 that night. Very different wines and both a joy to share.

If your a Forman fan I am seeing 13-15 locally in Tampa so nice to be able to back buy some vintages.

Cheers

Glad to read that the 2013 Forman is drinking well, Fred. Thanks for the note. We had a 2001 earlier this summer and it was fantastic. These wines age so well.

Ed

Ed- I think you’ll be really happy with it. One of my last big cabernet purchases as I got a case from the winery before the price increase. I’ve added a few bottles I’ve seen at retail under current release price.

I opened another 2013 last week. Really entering a nice window with a short decant. Classic Forman style and just a terrific wine. With all the buzz about new names and cults Forman continues to be a terrific wine and a relative value compared to its peers.

cheers