Where are the Most off the beaten path and interesting vineyards

I’m always interested in people trying things in odd places, especially growing grapes. I’m thinking West coast here really, but anywhere in the world might be interesting too.

Where are some vineyards in odd or remote areas, (bonus for beauty) with the caveat that the wine they produce must be at least worth the effort.

I hiked to Marisa Cuomo Winery this summer after hiking up to and through the Trail of the Gods on the Amalfi Coast; stunning! We drank a bottle out of plastic cups waiting for the bus to take us down to Positano.

Halcon Vineyard 2300’ above Anderson Valley in Mendocino County. Weather to mimic Northern Rhone and producing world class Rhone Varieties.

27BDB24E-9DDF-4BF3-AF84-B1C7825C68E7.jpeg
One of my favorites in Sonoma and a privilege to have made the trip twice.

The most remote wineries we have been to are in Croatia and Slovenia. Most are up in the mountains on narrow winding roads. You have to know where you are going.

Isn’t Wild Hog close to here also?

Paging John Cabot.

His vineyard is as remote as any in California, I’m guessing. The views are stunning.

Foxen`s Tepusquet Mesa Vineyard has to qualify for both, the off the beaten path and beauty criteria. First, the winery is located on the winding, curvy narrow back road called Foxen Canyon Road. The vineyard is accessed via a dirt/ partially gravely road with potholes and ruts often too big for most vehicles.

It sits high up on a hillside in an East and South facing layout. Just a bit on up the road is the picnic area that’s been big enough for the masses who have assembled for the Foxen May Party that was the country side party of the year for a few decades.

Most importantly, the fruit that’s sourced from the vineyard is some of the best the winery has, estate or otherwise. This is oak tree country and numerous old oak trees are scattered throughout the hillside and beyond. Wild flowers abound in the Spring time into the Summer season.

I believe Wild Hog is south and east of this. It’s also just off the road. The peay vineyards are about a mile drive through the woods on rough, rocky dirt roads. No signs, you can only get there with good directions referencing some landmarks.

Calera in Hollister is a bit off the beaten path. Could take in few others in the area or in Monterey. There’s also the backside of Pinnacles National Park and a visit to Mission San Juan Bautista in the area of Calera.

The Douro Valley
ED3825DE-435C-4C94-9B51-56D6A16E9E2E.jpeg

Waiheke Island in NZ. Unreal beauty, especially the Man O’ War vineyards.

Located outside a little village in the Sierra Nevada, Granada, Spain in a region known as Las Alpujarra.
**Disclaimer: I am the owner… Dominio Buenavista

La Cura Viognier.jpg

I work for the Miller family of Bien Nacido fame. Their French Camp vineyard southeast of Paso in the Paso Robles Highlands AVA is definitely off the beaten path as well as interesting. We grow everything from Chardonnay to Lagrein and everything in between there. The vineyard is in the far southeast of the larger Paso AVA about 40 miles inland and up at about 1500 feet in the hills that separate the coastal valleys from the Central Valley. Hot days, cool nights, potential freezing temperatures during harvest. The landscape looks like the surface of the moon.

I thought of another one that meets the criteria for this thread. It’s Morning Dew Ranch planted by my dear friend, Burt Williams of the original Williams Selyem fame. it’s located high up in the hills above the barely thriving metropolis of Philo, population 349, at the very West end of the Anderson Valley overlooking the valley to the East and the fog laden coastal mountain range to the West. It’s lush and green in this area when not in a drought phase and has a modernized 2 bedroom house and a small winery with a lab and crush pad as well as a.small pond on the 40 acre property which adds to the charm.

When one considers all of the fantastic clones grafted on the rootstock, it’s a royalty of Pinot Noir clonal varieties. 12 acres are planted to cuttings from the Rochioli Vineyard, “DRC” suitcase selections from adjacent vineyards, clone 23 (a clone Burt’s deceased son favored), and Dijon clones 115, 777 and 828.

Colares. Not too far from Lisbon, but grown on pure sand with a limestone bedrock. To plant new vines, the sand is removed to plant the vine. After it is established, the sand is replaced. Own rooted since Phylloxera can’t travel through the sand. Old vines which snake along the dunes.

Alder Springs Vineyard in remote far northwest Mendocino County would have to qualify. Halcon came to mind for me as well.

Bodega Colome has a vineyard at 10k feet, Altura Maixima.

sugarloaf in napa, across from the dmv.

+1,0000000 [winner.gif]