The Drops of God

A comic book that get serious about wine
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-30/drops-of-god-manga-gets-amazon-english-translation-wine-club

Not cheap, but available at https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1935654276/drvinowinepic-20

I read some of these a few years ago. Unfortunately, only 5 of the books were available in English. I think it was the first 4, and the “New World” one. Most are are available in french and japanese, but that does not help me.

Did you click on the OP’s link?

Yes, Drops of God 1-4, and the New World volume appear to still be the only ones in English. I actually didnt read the “new World” one as it skips ahead (technically volume 7) and I didnt want to jump ahead. I had hoped that they would issue all 13 volumes in english, but sorta lost hope at this point. Wikipedia has info on the what languages its in. Drops of God - Wikipedia

“Vertical Inc. is publishing the series in North America under the title The Drops of God. After publishing four volumes (covering the first eight Japanese volumes and the first two Apostles), the fifth volume jumped ahead to the story arc for the Seventh Apostle (volumes 22 and 23 of the Japanese edition), published under the name The Drops of God: New World. Vertical stated that this was done “by author request” and urged readers to “tell all your friends about the series so there will be second and third seasons to fill in the gap!”[5]”

My favorite comment on this series was from Keith Levenberg who, IIRC, observed that the main character apparently has magical decanting powers. If you’re going to have a superpower…

1 Like

The graf I woke up for was this one:

“The authors were celebrating the debut of all 44 volumes of their smash hit manga in English translation. Amazon’s digital comics division, ComiXology Originals, and partner-publisher Kodansha have just released the first 11; the rest will appear over the coming year—along with a new, online wine club whose offerings reflect the authors’ tastes and wine philosophy.”

Admittedly, that’s going to not be a physical edition, but readable on a Tablet – is this not a translation of the volumes you were hoping for? Apologies if I’m misunderstanding, as the manga isn’t something I’ve read yet, and trying to keep track of any comics series can be hard for outsiders like myuself.

Were they good? What are they like?

If I were a super hero I’d turn water into wine.

I really enjoyed them If what Glen posted is true, it seems like they’ve now done translations of the rest of the series, I think. Which is very exciting. Unfortunately, its kindle only. Boo.

I’d possess the power to never get drunk. Like Fu.

Why limit yourself to one superpower?

1 Like

These are super fun, informative, and pretty dramatic! I hadn’t heard the new translations were coming out, just signed up for the free 30-days of unlimited comixology to read them. (Note you can read on a laptop/desktop too, doesn’t need to be on a kindle)

Available free to read on Kindle/iPad for Amazon prime members.

Story is engaging and art is really terrific. I finished book 1 last night - still getting used to reading right to left.

I have all 5 of the published English language print editions, and I’ve been sad ever since I finished them. Even re-read them a couple of times. They are excellent.

Pro tip, if you are buying the print editions on Amazon, don’t pay the exorbitant prices, they fluctuate a lot and if you are patient can find them cheap on eBay.

Excited to hear about the comixology option that will allow me to read the rest.

Len - did you buy a copy??

So the TV series of this is hilarious (I’m not sure if it’s intentional or not). You’ve got bottles of DRC Richebourg being thrown at at the ground and magically absurd decanting.

Looks like they are making a new TV series of this. Filming now, Hulu is listed as one of the distributors. So maybe the US will get it.

My wife and I just finished the series on Apple TV. Extremely well written and acted. We were hooked after the first episode. They blended the 3 languages seamlessly using some subtitles. Highly recommend this series.

2 Likes

Agree, great watch

2 Likes