TN: 1970 Château Haut-Bailly (France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan)

1970 Château Haut-Bailly - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (9/2/2019)
– decanted immediately before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: mature; autumn leaves; cherry; gamebird; medium+ expressiveness; about 30 minutes after opening the Nose transitioned to one of stony mint and wet rocks.

BODY: medium-light bodied; sediment present; garnet core, lightening to a tawny color at the edges; color is of medium-light to medium depth.

TASTE: mature; red-fruited; watery finish; medium strength leathery funk; gentle; not tannic; alc. not noticeable. This wine forces you into an exploration — it doesn’t come to you, rather you have to go to it. This gives lots of pleasure, especially for those who prefer fully mature Bdx., but it is on its downslope. Drink now.

50, 5, 13, 15, 8 = (91 pts.)

Haut Bailly is probably my favorite Pessac, among those I can afford. Never had the 1970 but it sounds like I’d love it.

Nice note. I’ve had some lovely Haut Bailly from the 70’s, but not a 1970.

Thanks, guys. [cheers.gif] it’s a worthy buy if you come across a bottle in good condition and the price is reasonable.

It’s not a Pessac. I suppose technically it is part of Leognan in the classification. Not sure why they were grouped together, they are pretty far apart.

Good point Mark, shorthand got me, but appreciate the detail. Let me say it’s my favorite affordable wine from the entire Pessac/Leognan/Graves area. Exclusive of the rest of the left bank. At least it didn’t come out as my favorite from Pensacola, which is what autocorrect wanted me to post.

The Spaniards were planting Muscadine back in the 1600s from that very fine beach community. Choose the beach, skip the vino.