TN: 2009 Taupenot-Merme - Chambolle-Musigny (France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny)

2009 Domaine Taupenot-Merme Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny (9/2/2019)
– popped and poured on Day 1 –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours on Day 1; revisited on Day 3 –

NOSE: ripe red fruits; anise seed; a bit fumey, despite the 13% alc. on the label.

BODY: medium-light bodied.

TASTE: medium to medium+ acidity; 13% alc.; straightforward after 1.5 hours open; barely-perceptible fine tannins; on Day 1 this is “nice,” but nothing remarkable — let’s call it a typical “88 points.” Day 3 brings some dark red fruits, and a tiny touch of brett. Overpriced at the $60 I paid.

Seems like you drink a lot of disappointing/overpriced wines or just don’t post on the good ones and corner the market.

Could be all the scotch [grin.gif]

My only reference note of theirs is from an awful long time ago, 2011 at the winery:

"2009 Taupenot-Merme Chambolle Musigny La Combe D’Orveau

Even more spice cake and strawberry than the Gevrey, and that pomegranate note too. Potpourri scents as well. It’s bigger than I’d expect, but it’s also beautifully expressive with some cedar, cherry, raspberry an even fresh blueberry at the side of the cheeks. It will need time to integrate."

Kwa Heri

Mike

[rofl.gif]

A few things:

1. I fancy myself a somewhat stringent scorer. If you ever see me score something 94pts or higher, I seriously loved that wine. 88 or 89 points from me is reflective of a wine that I legitimately found to be “very good.”. That said, see my second point, below.
  2. Given the sea of great wine in the world, available at reasonable prices, I have expectations that may be greater than those of others (for example, as is relevant here: if I spend $50+ on a bottle, I am expecting it to at least be low-level excellent (at least 90+ points).
  3. I am still drinking through some purchasing mistakes/regrets from 10+ years ago.
  4. I like to explore new-to-me wines and regions, which certainly comes with a greater “disappointment rate” than does buying and drinking wines with which I am already familiar.
  5. I wish I had enough money to corner markets on wines I like! [berserker.gif]

[rofl.gif]

random tip of the day: take some aged parmesan cheese and either shave it super thin, or cut it into thin matchsticks. Pair with scotch (smoky malts work best). Amazing pairing.

I actually appreciate posts like these, though I also can enjoy posts like Laurent’s above on the GC big guns. But I also seek out relative value in Burgundy, from producers like Taupenot-Merme, and its interesting to know when its there and when it may not be. I have also never found this producer very satisfying, but others, like Boulanger, Burguet, or G. Lignier have really come through on occasion. So please keep posting these notes, Brian.

I don’t disagree, especially with #2, if I spend $50+ I wanna really like it. I’d be annoyed if it was mid-80s.

Keep 'em coming.