TN: 2015 La Ca' Nova - Barbaresco Montestefano (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco)

2015 La Ca’ Nova Barbaresco Montestefano - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (9/1/2019)
– decanted immediately before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 - 3 hours –

NOSE: intense red berry; hint of sulfur; not complex.

BODY: garnet color with slight bit of the typical bricking throughout; color is of medium depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: very tannic; light garrigué; hint of spicy cigar wrapper; acidity is medium to medium+; savory cherry. Overall, this is “appropriate”, “correct,” very good, but nothing that really makes me stop and take notice. gut impression score: 88 to 89 points.

FWIW, I was blown away by the quality and QPR of the 2016 La Ca’ Nova Barbaresco – Bric Mentin… maybe I’ve been drinking too much young Produttori, but I found that this wine, while young, was extremey well made…

Thanks for reminding me of this wine. A friend of mine distributed this wine years ago so got to try a few vintages of their offerings. Nothing spectacular but solid 90.

If you’re referring to the Bric Mentina Montefico, I just had that a few days ago and it was impressively tannic. Honestly wasn’t that enjoyable until today, Day 4. It does seem well made, but punishing for drinking right now.

Anyone with experience tasting the regular 2016 Barbaresco? I’m curious if that will be the same or more approachable.