Entire list by the glass with a catch...

The new Hazel Jane’s wine (and coffee) bar in Atlanta just opened, with a brief by the glass menu (roughly 10), but the offer that anything on the much larger bottle menu can be ordered “by the glass” if you commit to two glasses. The cool aspect of that is the remainder of the bottle then becomes available to anyone else. How they share what bottles are being opened up at any given moment still feels wonky (you basically have to ask your server, but I’m not sure how they know what other servers may have recently opened). Anyone seen something like this work well? I wish they had a chalkboard where they would scribble (then cross off) what’s available at the moment. Also, I didn’t get the exact pricing/pour size… will report back.

They also have a retail license and can sell any bottle on the list.

Brooklyn Heights Wine Bar & Kitchen has been running the same set up for years. Great, low key spot.

charlie bird does half bottles of everything on the list except bubbles
love it!

There’s a place here in Boston, Haley Henry, that does the same thing.

I’ve been to a few places that offer this option - and I think it’s great. Would love to see more wine bars and restaurants doing the same . . .

Cheers!

Takes some really good communication with staff and the POS system link or a board in back where they track bottles. Generally a “glass” of a bottle selection is 1/4 the price of bottle, then the staff is tasked with selling the other two glasses once a bottle is cracked.

I think Bottle Rock does this as well. The bottle is more-than-paid-for after the first two glasses.

Maybe there is a system out there like Untappd for wine? Link an electronic menu board with the POS and inventory, and then customers can see what bottles are available and the burden is taken off the servers.

Chalk seems like an appealing, low-cost answer.

Yes they do – and because of it I always end up spending far too much money when there! Also love that they use Zaltos.

There is a place here that has a 20ish bottle list. The by the glass list is comprised of about seven of those bottles. First orders of the day they open the desired bottle, put it on a chalkboard, and anyone can order a glass. When that bottle is done, whomever orders a glass from whichever bottle they want gets one and it goes on the list. It is a good method.

We ate at Frescobaldi in Florence a few years ago and they would open any bottle even if you just wanted a glass. I do not recall how they advertised the open bottles.

Years ago, I thought that open table should have integrated this. At reservation time you commit then for at least 2 glasses, then it opens up the other glasses which can then be reserved by any following reservations or send an alert to other diners that night. I could see if the restaurant wanted to cap the number of open bottles on one night though at a reasonable amount. If I was dining at a place that did that I’d be checking the app constantly I think. Then Put a chalkboard at the bar to let btg bar drinkers know what’s available at the moment.

What is the list like?

A restaurant in the twin cities did/does this, with a chaulk board somewhere in the bar showing what opened bottles are available. I think it’s a a great idea.

The Enotecha Vigna Nuova in Florence, Italy (Via dei Federighi, 3/R, 50123 Firenze) does this also, and I do recommend the place; they have a large selection (>500 wines) that is intelligently chosen, and excellent service as well.

Love the concept, and I’ve seen it (Max’s Wine Dive in Austin, I think)
The problem is the leftovers. If I’m not cracking it, I want to know when the bottle was opened and I need to trust your answer. Less of a concern with a limited by-the glass list.
I guess you could gas the open bottles.

The Bachelor Farmer. Great restaurant with really good wines on their list. I’ve ordered Clos Saron and Jolie Laide the two times I’ve been there.

Their deal is most wines on their list can be ordered as a half bottle, for 50% of the bottle price (and the prices are reasonable). They pour your half into a carafe, and the other half goes onto the chalkboard as being available by the glass.

Lelabar in the West Village does this. Fun every once in a while.

Income Tax in the Edgewater neighborhood here does this, but with no requirement to buy more than 1 glass. Great policy, much success!