TN: 2006 EMH Cabernet Sauvignon Black Cat (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2006 EMH Cabernet Sauvignon Black Cat - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/1/2019)
    Pop and poured. This is in a great place right now. It has shed any harsh tanin. Sweet without sugar, moderately fruity but not over the top. Some level of spice. A bit of earthiness but no tertiary leathery type stuff. An outstanding Berserkerday purchase. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note, Jay. I’ve enjoyed the ‘06 several times, but not in the last 3-4 years. Sounds like it’s as good as ever, maybe better.

Well hey old friend. Been nearly 18 months since I had my last ‘06. A stunner. I can only hope that more recent vintages become this good.

Thank you, gentlemen.

I need to look in on the 13s and 15s to see what’s going on there. 2016 just might be the candidate to replace the 2006 in the aging curve.

Thanks Jay. The 2006 is our favorite Black Cat to date. [cheers.gif]

So I have now had the 2013SS and the Classic 2015 EMH Black Cats within the last 10 days. Both are ready to drink with a couple of hours of decant time. Each displays some minty/herbal qualities, particularly in the nose. Rich cherry/berry flavors; minimal oak influence.

Surprised to hear the ‘15 Black Cat is ready. I wouldn’t thought a few more years might be in order. Good to know.

Any thoughts on how the ‘10 Black Cat and ‘10 SS are drinking at the moment?

Andy, “ready” is subjective, as you know. People who enjoy the fresh fruit, yet within an integrated structure, can enjoy the 13s and 15s now. People who like aged Cabernets might want to wait.

Cellartracker has some interesting notes on some Black Cats within the last week or so. I think I can say with some certainty that the longer you age (at least Napa Cabs), the more likely you are to run into bottle variation in regards to the aging process.

I had a 2010 somewhat recently and it was robust.

I drank the '13 last night. It was very nice. I had the 2011 a few weeks back… It was singularly terrific. Merrill, I owe you a long note on that bottle.

Bring it on…I like that wine, too. Even Alfert might like that wine! Slightly AFWE.

The 13 SS was beautiful. If not at peak, it’s drinking great. I thought it was much better than the 09 regular which was also very nice, FWIW.

I had the '06 EMH which was super twice this year. Truly a class of its own. I looked at this thread and I realized its been a while since I had the well reviewed '11 EMH. Given the discussion above I also had to open the '11 for the holiday and see how it goes… well meauw!

• 2011 EMH Cabernet Sauvignon Black Cat - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/25/2019)
    It was a good time to revisit the '11 EMH… It was a rewarding experience, especially with a long decant. It has developed those peppery secondary tastes on the palate and nose (a little less on the nose from PnP, more after few hours in the carafe). The blackberry notes are more developed than my previous recollection of drinking the '11. The finish certainly got longer than I recalled, and certainly got longer with the decant. Excellent match to the meat and the stew. It is a true gem and a great one to enjoy over the holiday meal. Still has several years ahead in good storage, so I’m happy there are still few bottles to enjoy at the storage. As many others noted- shows very well now, and shows very well with a good decant. Great work Sparkles! (and Merrill)

(93+ but the note tells more than the number) (93 pts.)