No more space, do you keep buying?

When you are out of storage space, do you stop buying wine?

• Yes
  • No, I expand my home storage to other areas (garage, kid’s room, etc.).
  • No, I add off-site storage.
  • No, I sell off bottles.
  • Other

0 voters

I was wondering what happens when you run out of space. My wife recently said to me that we have enough wine for the rest of our lives. I quickly disagreed, but she pointed out that you can’t open the door to the cellar. This is only an issue during shipping season, but this winter it is worse. Maybe I should shut down purchases for the next 4-6 months. I can’t be the only one having this problem. I had off-site storage years ago and have contemplated bringing it back for long term storage.

More friends over = greater depletions, after all on your own you are only one person, all the onus can’t fall on you.

Love me some offsite.

Yes, but I have learned to apply greater care in my purchases. I skip certain plots now from the producers I do like, instead dialing in on the handful of remaining plots that really speak to my senses. Hell, my cellar is 10% lighter than this time a year ago because I sold off some bottles (my vote above), have donated a bunch of wine for charity and to Kris’ point, share wine and focused my spend.

PARTY !!! champagne.gif [cheers.gif] [wow.gif] champagne.gif

Frank, I have started to be more selective. This has been the best thing for me to do. Basically 75% of my purchases are now for long term. I have also been giving more wine as gifts and donating.

Good work, Travis. And thanks for your service as a teacher, too.

Math

Unless it doesn’t work in your favor.

I chose the top 3 options:

Yes, when I have willpower.
No, expand storage (during wintertime; and this is usually accompanied by a slow-down in purchasing)
No, add off-site (when the problem has become exceedingly bad; this level of bad behavior has only been reached three times — my initial foray into offsite, the addition of locker #2, and then the upgrade in size for the smaller of the two lockers).

moving forward, I’m hoping to reduce this list to nothing more than “Yes.” <---- pipe dream.

I doubt that reason alone ever stop anyone from buying, just saying.

Take all 3 of the no options; sadly, I am not “getting to yes,” as they say.

Wow. Very unlike my purchasing. 15% - 25%-ish for long term. The rest is daily/regular consumption. I still do an occasional buying binge and the result is a bigger pile of boxes and less aisle space. The long term racks have been at equilibrium for a while, while the overflow boxes of “keepers” are slowly accumulating. The pile grows and organization drifts towards chaos. There’s more storage room that could be added but there’s already a lifetime supply…so expansion is irrational…which is absolutely no guarantee it won’t happen.

Started donating a few bottles last year.

RT

Dumbest thing I ever did was to get offsite storage.

Most of my wine is long term as well and it’s nearly full. I think about other things that have more space or need a gap filled: custom surfboard or two, 4wt fly rod, guitar amp…

Still buying but increasing selling and donating.

I have gone through several rounds of reorganization, each inspired by a condition that would be labeled as “out of space”. The result of the reorganization each time has been the creation of more capacity in the existing space. I voted other since I think I’ve been out of space a few times.

fred

I do a combination of selling off wines I feel no longer fit my tastes and trying to be more selective. But of course I have to reaffirm this strategy every 4-5 years. [oops.gif]

I have finally gotten better at buying less from favorite lists, or just buying the bottles I know I always like.

I would say the shining you have taken towards German Rieslings, champagne.gif
but we know you have a patient wife.

I have my share too.

She also loves Rieslings.