What 2017 White Burg are you drinking tonight?

As a big fan of 2014 White Burgs, I thought it would be nice to have a single source for 2017s as another vintage with energy and verve, and perhaps a source for people to find purchase recommendations, like Kent’s recco for Ben Leroux Bourgogne Blanc. Look forward to seeing many tasting notes as I’d like to buy in on 2017 and can’t taste everything.

Most recently I have had…

2017 Michel Niellon Chassagne Montrachet - not an inexpensive Village wine, but out-punches its level and shows great acidity.

2017 Michel Niellon Chassagne Montrachet La Truffiere - definite step up here vs. village level. More of a core of fruit and acid, shows good balance of oak as a frame not the picture.

2017 Pierre Labet Beaune Clos du Dessus Les Marconnets - wow, this really has a multi-faceted nose of spice, flowers and stone fruits. Nice depth and balance.

2017 Jean-Louis Chavy Puligny Montrachet - higher acidity doesn’t make this jump out as Puligny as I always find it a tad richer than its Chassagne cousin. Has real energy running thru it.

2017 Jean-Louis Chavy Puligny Montrachet Les Folarieres - Big step up from village, with high acid, more fruit, mainly green apples, and nice hint of oak.

2017 Jadot Puligny Montrachet - solid for the $, not a long distance runner, but a nice Puligny to drink over the next 5 years while others age.

2017 Jadot Meursault - lacking some energy and tension, bit flat, just came in, so revisit in case it’s just shut down.

Have some 2017 Louis Michel Chablis, Sechets and Butteaux to up next and see if I need more.

Cheers, Kris

Drank a '17 Jacques Carillon Puligny ‘Perrieres’ last night. Generously fruited with a sweet, sappy core. Plenty of saline minerality to the tail and utterly delicious.

I’ve only opened a couple 2017’s thus far.

Pernot Puligny-Montrachet Les Folatieres… always a buy for me every year. I don’t know what it is with Pernot’s Folatieres, but this was great with it’s citrus, melon, apple scents and taste.

PYCM St. Aubin La Pucelle… nice village wine with the usually flint/sulfur nose and light on the palate. Did well with oysters.

Jeremy,

Don’t see much Carillon in WA, and you mentioned before they are a stock up for you, what wines/vineyards do you favor?

Love the '17s Kris as you know. Just ordered some more Fevre and Moreau-Naudet Forets. Had a few at Jeremy’s a few weeks ago. Domaine du Cerberon Meursault Les Cras is stellar so we had a few of those (thanks Jeremy) and a Mikulski premier cru was quite exotic and ripe. Neillon Champs Gain was tightly coiled.

Another I am looking to grab a sample of is 2017 Labet Meursault Les Tillets as the Roulot plot is fallow for the next number of years, so this could be an interesting wine at/under $100.

1 Like

Kris,

With a producer as good as Jacques Carillon, I don’t chase a particular vineyard, happy to buy from Village to BBM.

Best Regards
Jeremy

I sure do hope you’re paying sub-Wholesale; something getting closer to Cellar Door pricing.

Those wines are now obscenely expensive in the USA [if you can even find them at all].

I like most of what I’ve tried. Droin Chablis Montmains was very tasty and a good value. I’ve gone through a half case of PYCM Bourgogne Blanc and really enjoyed their sharpness and energy. I had the chance to taste across the line-ups of Bernard Moreau and Lamy-Pillot and loved them - many good options if you can find them. At this point I’m more of a buyer than a drinker but plan on continuing to sample producers I like.

I have not had any wines from Moreau-Naudet since Stephane died. Do the wines taste different from the ones he made and if so how? Thanks.

Had a 17 dancer Bourgogne recently which was drinking better than the 16, which was also good.

Only serious wine so far an exploratory bottle of Julien Brocard 2017 Cote de Lechet. Unfortunately, it’s delicious already. Being biodynamic he ships in cases of seven so I do have six left, but it will be hard to keep them as long as I should, will be a test of character.
Other than that some low end stuff: Drouhin Vaudon Chablis (good), Chanson Macon villages (good), Laroche St Martin (meh).

Francois Labet’s whites are hard to find but absolutely fabulous. Thanks for the notes

So far I’ve had the following 2017s:

Bernard Moreau Bourgogne Blanc
Patrick Javillier Bourgogne Blanc Oligocene (still have this opened for day 2 trial; showing slightly tighter than in July)
Jacques Carillon Puligny villages (great even after 3 days!)
PYCM Pernand-Vergelesses Sous Fretille 1er

Most of the tasting we did in Burgundy this past June/July was 2017 whites and reds.

Which wines stood out in your tastings I Burgundy?

Planning on opening a 17 Vincent Dancer Tete Du Clos at the end of the month - which will be my first experience with 17 (other than a 17 Ramonet Aligote that I had Friday) which was beautiful.

Kris & Jeremy - I too buy the J Carillon Pulignys from Village to BBM. The standout of the 1ers is generally the Referts for me, though it’s really splitting hairs with the Perrieres. The Champ Canet is a good wine but clearly third out of the 1ers. Village ages well too.

I had Jean Marc Brocard 1er Vau de Vey by the glass at a couple of restaurants last week, great for a by the glass option.

I remember when 2014 was current, Chablis by the glass was everywhere and village wines were singing, let alone the better stuff.

The only 2017 I’ve had thus far was the Henri Germain et Fils Bourgogne Côte d’Or (the newish appellation) which was very nice for its level. Excellent energy indeed with delicious fruit. Retailed for 34 € so decent value as well.

+1. A shame the BBM is such a tiny production.