Vigna rionda ester canale giovanni rosso

Coming from the same parcel as the legendary Giacosa’s Collina Rionda expectations I guess will be very high .Any of you guys tried it ?
Thanks

Eric Guido wrote an interesting piece about it: https://morrellwinebar.com/resurrecting-collina-rionda/

Thanks Eric , I read the piece.In Italy there is a lot of hype behind the wine.The 2015 is supposed to be stunner.

Nobody?

1 Like

When we were in Piemonte last year we tasted the 2015 Canale Rosso Langhe Nebbiolo at Centro Storico in Serralunga, it was good, but nowhere close to the 2013 produced by Bartolo Mascarello that we drank on the same trip. My pals and I wanted to taste the new hot thing, but couldn’t justify spending the tariff asked for the Barolo.

While terroir is of great import, what that producer can do with said terroir is more important. I’ve had had some wines from Davide that I thought were good and very good, rarely outstanding. Admittedly I have not had that particular wine yet, but the hype machine seems premature, and pricing is quite ambitious. Judgement reserved.

Hi Joel, I guess it had to be compared to the barolo not the nebbiolo that even though is a very good product I don’t think its at the same level .

Don’t you think he means the 2013 Bartolo Langhe Nebbiolo?

That wouldn’t add up either Claus . The nebbiolo ester canale is effectively a barolo coming from the same parcel of the barolo ester canale but it was replanted . So it was downgraded to nebbiolo . It will be added to the barolo when time is due .

The nebbiolo ester canale is effectively a barolo coming from the same parcel of the barolo

Exactly the same with Bartolo Langhe Nebbiolo. Comes from Cannubi
(1,14 ha); (Cannubi) San Lorenzo (0,38 ha); Ruè (0,56 ha), like the Barolo

No, ester canale nebbiolo it’s aged like a barolo the nebbiolo isn’t . As I was saying .the cost well reflects this . Beeing over 100 usd a bottle .

1 Like

Well I guess this is why people here haven’t tried it. rolleyes

Ok
Then please explain your initial comment regardind tie comparison
Btw the Roagna Neb currently release is 2014 so that might also get “Barolo treatment”

The barolo vigna rionda ester canale comes from the only parcel that wasn’t replanted out the ones left by tommaso canale . So I was suggesting that a top barolo like bartolo Mascarello had to be compared to the barolo . The nebbiolo ester canale is from the exact same parcel but with replanted vines . That’s all.

Again: are you sure it’s the Barolo? It makes no sense

Don’t you think he means the 2013 Bartolo Langhe Nebbiolo

That’s exactly what I meant, sorry if it was unclear. The two bottles that I was comparing were the Langhe Nebbiolo from Canale Rosso and the Langhe Nebbiolo from Bartolo Mascarello. According to Antonio Galloni the Mascarello Langhe Nebbiolo is either 100% young-vine Cannubi fruit (barrel sample review) or mostly young-vine Cannubi fruit (finished bottle review), which supports Claus Jeppesen’s point that the fruit is from Barolo vineyards.

FWIW, Roagna makes a Langhe Nebbiolo from his top Barolo and Barbaresco sites that is treated similar to a Barolo. IIRC the current release is 2014
The 2013 is simply fantastic.

Guys we talking about two different things I suspect. Bartolos nebbiolo doesnt follow the disciplinary status to be called barolo the nebbiolo ester canale does.davide is purposely downgrading it to differentiate from the barolo .anyways . Bartolo Mascarello is probably top 3/4 producer in barolo has experience and know-how that Rosso can’t have . The nebbiolo ester canale was planted in 2011,the barolo has 70y old vines . Davide is making great progress with his wines , the site where is producing ester canale is legendary and for me the barolo is probably amongs the 6/7 best barolos.i agree with Claus the roagna langhe is amazing and great value for money .

I’ve never had the Barolo and can’t comment on its quality or QPR. My only point in joining this thread was to say that the 2013 Canale Rosso Langhe Nebbiolo, which I recall being 90 Euros at Centro Storico, was not outstanding especially when compared to the 2016 (corrected vintage) Bartolo Mascarello Langhe Nebiolo, which I recall being 60 Euro at Ristorante L’Argaj in Castiglione Falletto.

I’ve gone into some detail about the Canale Rionda plot here:
http://www.finewinegeek.com/giacosa/barolo/#rionda

On the A.A. Giovanni Rosso website, there is a nice aerial photo of Rionda before the replanting:

I recently tasted the 2014 Giovanni Rosso Barolo Ester Canale Rosso Vigna Rionda as part of a tasting of a dozen Barolos from Rionda (now properly called Vignarionda). In particular, this tasting including the 1978 and 1990 Giacosa Rionda Riserva. Now 2014 is not a great vintage in Barolo, so there are limits to any comparison. The 2014 Giovanni Rosso Barolo Ester Canale Rosso Vigna Rionda is a lovely wine. It has sweet red fruit and soft tannins. It’s a very good wine, but not at all comparable to Giacosa’s Riondas, and absurdly priced at over $500 retail in the US.