TN: 2018 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

• 2018 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine - USA, California (11/12/2019)
    Have now opened two bottles. One pop n pour the other followed for three days. Easily the best Bedrock Old Vine to date. This shows fresh across the palate, lighter bodied, a melange of Sonoma, Contra Costa and Amador fruit with a Trousseau-like grip on the finish. As much as I love the SVD’s I could easily just buy 4 cases of 2018 Old Vines and not be disappointed. I may not say that after tasting all the ‘18s but right now… This still the biggest no-brainer in California red wine buying.

Posted from CellarTracker

Hmmm. Looks like I might have to pop one of mine soon. Thanks for the notes, BT.

Definitely give it ample air.

Will do.

I actually came to this same conclusion and now purchase close to a case of OV Zin and only a couple of SVD’s. I just think the field blends were not as enjoyable to me and the OV’s really are a no-brainer. Cheers!

Totally agree… but I think that 2018 is extra special for OVZ. It’s as rewarding as many of the single site heritage blends (of prior years; I haven’t popped any 2018s yet).

Okay, based upon all of the positive notes, I popped one tonight.

Yup.

Totally legit, probably the best early drinking Bedrock OVZ since the incredible 2013 - entirely youthful and utterly forgiving.

DO IT, DO IT NOW

I’ve had two bottles as well. Love it.

I think it shows the strength of the 2018 vintage for Zin. All three of the 2018 Bedrocks I have popped thus far have been the best to date vintage for the label.

I’ve neen buying a case of OV every year but may have to up that number in order to make it last through the next vintage release.

That’s the spirit!

Just got the shipping notification for my Bedrock order. Looking forward to trying this among the others I ordered.

It is drinking SO well right now. I’ve been through 3 bottles already, so need to slow down. I’ve tried other 2018 Zins/Field Blends, and none are ready to drink as much as the OVZ! One, if not the best, I’ve tried since 2013, I’d say. I will need to find more. Great tasting note, Brian!

Just received the fall waiting list offer…I’m in for 16 bottles (at least 1 bottle of everything offered), but I assume the OVZ is part of the Spring offering. I think my local wine shop may have it, if so I’m in for a case.

It was part of the late July offer.

Called them and they were nice enough to add on 6 bottles of OVZ to my fall order!

Thanks to those who posted here. Never would have cracked this one otherwise. These almost always need age far beyond what their humble price point would suggest. Don’t know why this is drinking so nicely right now, but I am glad it is.
Of interest, I noted that this has a Diam closure, which I don’t recall seeing previously. Would be curious as to Morgan’s reasoning on this (I’m a big fan of modern closures).

Lazarus’ing this discussion to check in on any recent updates of tastings of this wine. I have not had the 2018 but really enjoyed the 2017 a couple of times. Puzzled a bit looking at CT and not seeing a really dramatic uptick in the average score for the 2018 vintage compared to previous several vintages. Maybe it is too early yet to show its real stuff?

We had a 2018 a few nights ago and it took a couple of hours to open up and soften. If we have another in the next few months I’d probably decant.

I popped a 2018 recently and followed it over 3 days, and it was killer all three days. I, too, am surprised by the moderate CT scores, but attribute that to the somewhat more elegant, lighter frame the wine has than one would assume with an old vine California zin. A trusted buyer at my local wine shop, whose opinion I often value, told me he had “never loved a Bedrock zin, as much as I want to”, and it’s for that reason. Oh well. More for the rest of us.

Disclosure: The company I work for distribute Bedrock in my area.