2016 Barolo Vintage - How Is It Looking?

Where Will 2016 Rank?

• Best Vintage In Decades
  • Best Vintage This Decade
  • Better than 2010, not 2013
  • Better than 2013, not 2010
  • Not better than 2010 or 2013

0 voters

Would love to hear what folks are thinking about the 2016 Barolo vintage. I have heard some cautious commentary on 2016, including some comments on WB. By “cautious”, I don’t mean negative… just that 2016 may not be as legendary as folks thought it could have been a year ago. I’m wondering if perhaps 2016 pricing won’t jump up as much as previously expected (given what I perceive to be not insignificant increases for 2015, other recent/good vintages being readily available, and a potentially decent 2019 not too far away), which would be more justified if the wines won’t be as long-lived as say 2010 or 2013. I have not tasted any 2016s… so am just curious what people are thinking for those who have / or talk to those who have.

Would love to hear thoughts on ageability/structure, vintage comparisons, general thoughts on value/pricing. I slapped on a poll as well, although I wonder how many are qualified to vote (I am not)

According to many producers is the perfect vintage .l’ annata del contadino. The farmers year .

I think it’s a very classic vintage, but it’s not quite 2013 in terms of ageability and power. I do think producers when speaking a bit more freely admit that while very good, it’s not an “all time” vintage.

As far as the poll, hard to vote. It’s certainly one of the two best vintages of the decade.

Added two more poll options

Since this is the one to sell, I suspect it is ‘very fine indeed’.

I don’t think the producers are posting on this thread.

I’ve only tasted the '16 Vietti Crus and they are splendid. The general thoughts from the producers I have spoken with is that it is a classic and near perfect vintage.

It’s kind of premature to ask for opinions since the wines are still a year away from release. How many people have any basis for an opinion?

We now need a basis to form an opinion? I thought this was Winberserkers! newhere [berserker.gif]

I’ve been tasting the base Nebbiolos. They are consistently excellent (eg. Bartolo Mascarello, Bruno Giacosa, Fratelli Alessandria, PdB, Ca Nova) If they are good indicators, then yes this will be a very good vintage. Better than 2010 or 2013? I certainly can’t say. Ask again in 10 or 20 years.

Does it matter if it’s ‘better’ than other ‘best’ vintages? If you are up for long aging then this will be a vintage to buy deeply. And if trends are indicative prices will be up but will look positively cheap compared to the next bunch of ‘best’ vintages.

For what I tried , 2015 has more power , 2016 more finesse and balance .

I have been following this vintage since 2017, with dozens of tastings from Barbaresco in the north, to Monforte in the south; winegrowers are quite happy.

Recent tasting was during the first two weeks of October; I’ll return again from 27 nov until 2 Dec., for a few more data points.

Plans include buying my annual favorites, and some others that have some really beautiful wines, as well.

2018 will be a vintage that I’ll probably go twice as deep as i usually do; get your requests in early.

Sunny for a change in Firenze just now, hoping it’s the same when I arrive in Roma in 75 more minutes; forecast there is rain during each of my 6 days, but after the non-stop rain of the past two weeks in Toscana, it’s all good.

2018 is a vintage you will twice as deep on, or did you mean 2016 Tim?

2018, Tom

So you see more potential with 2018 than 2016 Tim?

I was in Barolo a few weeks ago, so basing my thoughts on tasting the 16s from a number of producers there and discussions with them.

io

but, to answer your question, not many

You and Greg have a basis. But you are the exceptions.

Won’t the pundits be providing vintage reports in 2-3 months, with retail offers ~6 months away?

And my views should be taken with…let’s say a large grain of salt :slight_smile: