TNs: Montelena Estate, Mascarellos, PYCM and a few others

Had a great meal last night, with the following wines all poured blind. As always, the humility and learning from blind tasting was plentiful. Thanks for reading.

• 2005 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/12/2019)
    Poured blind. Damn, this tasted fresh and had me guessing something primary, like a recent vintage of something, say a 2014? Totally wrong here. Aromas of spice box and some modern touches to the fruit and texture but not totally Napa new world in tone, either. Pure, pushing some plushness, with some light tang, strong tones of blue fruit, a bit of coffee, currant and cedar into the finish. What a youthful showing wine, which is pushing 15 years old. Terrific.
  • 2008 Pol Roger Champagne Vintage Brut - France, Champagne (11/12/2019)
    Poured blind. This shows a piercing kind of lemony acid. Citrus, green apple with some bed berry underneath. Finishes with lime skin and what I thought was more of an EB style. When revealed, I was surprised as the gang said this runs a higher dosage of around 8 g/l/ Enjoyed this.
  • 2010 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barolo Monprivato - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (11/12/2019)
    Poured blind. Floral with rose petals. Barolo seemed like the right path for my guess. Tangy, higher acidity with some density and lots of tangy fruit. This needs lots more time but was a treat for this to be served and to get to taste it.
  • 2011 Newport Beach Vineyards & Winery The OC Red - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/12/2019)
    Poured blind. Damn, this was funny to see revealed, as this stuff is grown 30 mins from my pad here in the OC. The damn SNA departure of the commercial jets goes right over this vineyard, as it’s in the back bay of Newport, just before the Pacific. Who knew someone grew and bottled wine from here? Tobacco leaf/cigar aromas, with grapey fruit, herb, tangy and yet rich at the same time. Fun wine.
  • 2013 Dirty and Rowdy Chardonnay Alder Springs Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (11/12/2019)
    Poured blind. Toasty aromatic, perhaps some oak? Lemon oil, a riper-styled palate with some lemon pith, green apple, green mango and some light structure/complexity.
  • 2015 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barbera d’Alba Superiore Scudetto - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d’Alba Superiore (11/12/2019)
    Poured blind. I found some apricot in this wine, and as it appeared darker in color, I was putting this on as Zin early on in the night. Dark cherry, blackberry juicy, black cherry. Lightly tarry with a juicy, moderately structured finish.
  • 2016 00 Wines Chardonnay VGW - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (11/12/2019)
    Poured blind. Some wood shows on the nose as it airs. Stone fruit, citrus, pippin and good finishing kick of acid. Structured finish.
  • 2016 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Langhe Nebbiolo dai Vigneti di Proprietà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (11/12/2019)
    Poured blind. Juicy, spicy with watermelon and tangy cherry. Finishes tight. I loved the core pieces of this wine but it needs more time.
  • 2016 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet (11/12/2019)
    Poured blind. This beat the wines on the table last night and was my WOTN. Rainwater quality, flit, pear and apple. Subtle and delicate with a refined, balanced impression. Excellent.

Posted from CellarTracker