RYME Cellars Open House 11/2/2019

Just getting around to posting my notes from the RYME Open House as the last few weeks have been crazy busy. The RYME Open House is one I always look forward to attending… Their portfolio is unique in that you might be tasting a vibrant chardonnay or stony mineral driven pinot noir in one visit and then 6 months later you are tasting vermentino, ribolla gialla, aglianico and fiano. Quite an eclectic and delicious line up.
Owners - Winemakers Megan and Ryan Glaab are not only talented for what they produce but are also two of the nicest people you will ever meet. They have a tasting room in Forestville and I would encourage you to set an appointment and sample the wines. Their line up has something for everyone. Like many of the producers in California I have come to love there is no new oak used, only old used barrels, stainless steel or amphora. Onto the wines.

2018 RYME Aglianico Rosé Heringer Vineyard, Clarksburg, Sacramento County: Made with 100% aglianico. At picking the grapes had around 20 brix and very high acidity. It was immediately whole cluster pressed to minimize color extract. It fermented without additions in stainless steel and neutral wood.
Nose had hints of citrus and berry (strawberry-raspberry). Flavors of strawberry, hints of watermelon and finishes with grapefruit pith and slight herbal notes. Very good acidity. Put a chill on this and it becomes quite gulpable and with the Holidays around the corner a good match with varied food. 11.1% ABV

2018 RYME Vermentino “Hers” Las Brisas Vineyard Carneros: This was released earlier this year and I had reviewed it but was being poured as a comparison to the “His” Vermentino.
Much like my earlier bottle, this had floral, fresh apple and citrus aromas followed by flavors of citrus, tropical fruit, ripe apples, white flowers and saline minerals. Good acidity and nice clean finish you can sip this or pair with food. It’s all good!! 11.2% ABV

2018 RYME Vermentino “His” Las Brisas Vineyard Carneros: The wine was whole cluster pressed, settled clean, and fermented without inoculation in a combination of old neutral barrels and stainless steel. The wine underwent a spontaneous partial malolactic fermentation. Sees about two weeks on skins
Aromatics on this wine are intriguing, very floral, very spicy, subtle fruit. Flavors follow with stone fruit (peach pit, nectarine), chamomile, blood orange and a touch of honey. Very savory, good acidity and some tannins. I love skin contact whites when done in a way to enhance the complexities of the grape without going over the edge and turning the wine into a phenolic mess. This wine delivers big time. 12.4% ABV

2018 RYME Cabernet Franc Alegria Vineyard: The grapes were picked in late September with a modest brix level. Fermented the 2018 in two separate lots. One was a whole cluster fermentation in a tank and pressed gently by foot once a day to keep the top fresh and release some juice. This results in a partial carbonic fermentation. The other lot was whole cluster into clay amphora. Both fermentations were pressed separately to neutral oak barrels and blended prior to bottling.
The RYME Vermentino (both “Hers” and “His”) get a lot of good press, deservedly so but the RYME Cabernet Franc is a favorite of mine and always delivers a tasty satisfying drink. The 2018 is a beauty. Fresh ripe red cherry - red raspberry fruit, earthy wet soil and a mix of sweet herbs. Nice core of minerals, good acidity and some grippy sweet tannins tie this all together. A versatile wine that will match with a variety of food or just crack one open and sip away. 12.5% ABV

2016 RYME Aglianico Luna Matta Vineyard Paso Robles: 2016 marks the 10th year of making Aglianico from the Luna Matta Vineyard. The grapes were harvested in the middle of October. The grapes were crushed by foot and fermented without destemming or inoculation. After fermentation, the wine was pressed to neutral barriques and aged for 3 years without racking.
This wine is the big boy of the RYME line up. There is spice, herb, earthy and tobacco aromas. Huge concentration (not extraction) this has black cherry and blackberry fruit, herbal, earthy notes and a cedar-graphite note. Quite a mouthful, it also has good acidity and substantial but not bitter or aggressive tannins. Lay this wine down for a few years so it has time to knit together. Did not get the ABV of this wine.

Megan Glaab RYME Cellars
IMG_20191102_154200.jpg
Ryan Glaab (Plaid Shirt) RYME CELLARS
IMG_20191102_154426.jpg

I saw a truck with 4 Ryme bins of red grapes heading North on 101 in Marin yesterday. I’m curious about the variety and source. Anyone know?