TN: 2014 Bonny Doon Vineyard Le Cigare Volant (USA, California)

2014 Bonny Doon Vineyard Le Cigare Volant - USA, California (11/15/2019)
Pick up at UPS, and then open a bottle. Fresh red fruit, leathery and earthy notes are supported by moderate tannins and a good acidic backbone. This is quite nice, especially at the discounted price. Glad to have a bunch of 1/2 bottles for casual drinking.

Posted from CellarTracker

A few years after we opened our store, one of our wine reps dropped in and dropped a BS story on us and we learned a valuable lesson. He touted the wine as an ode to cigars, blended to accompany most cigars with a natural or Connecticut wrapper. We bought a couple cases and told the regulars his story for about a week until I put it on the website. To make sure I got the rep’s story right I went to Bonny Doon’s website and learned the truth, “no flying cigars, (saucers), allowed.” The rep’s BS story sold more wine than the truth. It really was a good wine with a cigar, or for sipping before dinner back then. We didn’t find it paired well with our usual menu of spicy or heavily sauced dinners at the time.

You never would have made that mistake if you owned one of the winery’s flying saucer sweatshirts, as I do. neener

I used to have a cigare volatile t shirt, that I bought in the old tasting room. That was like 25 years ago.

Just got my shipment Thursday. Should create a virtual tasting night.