TN: 2011 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Asili

2011 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Asili - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (11/16/2019)
When I visited the Produttori in 2018, Aldo Vacca suggested that 2009 and 2011 were vintages to drink early, while holding onto the 2008 and 2013 wines for the longer term.

Remembering that advice, I opened the 2011 Asili, and was not disappointed. While it had not developed old wine nuances, it was still very much open and drinking quite well. All the rose and tar elements were there, along with dusty red fruit. It was not at all a tannic beast, in fact surprising with its structure that seemed more acid focused, rather than based on tannin.

With several more bottles, I will likely end up with at least a couple getting to the 18-20 age window, but have no regrets about drinking one now.

Posted from CellarTracker

Well that’s great to hear, the two 8s I’ve had (Rabaja and Pora) were both youthful beasts, still nice to drink but not there yet. Maybe I’ll mark down my '11 Ovello to try next.

We had a vertical of Ovello when I was there, and the ‘11 was very good.

Iwould second that the 2011’s are showing pretty well. We recently did a vertical of Asili and rabaja. the Asili is in a great spot (give it 2-3 hours of air for even better result. The Rabaja was a little turned in on itself-- I might wait a little longer, but not too long.

Where do the 07s fit into Aldo’s (or our) recommended windows?

He thought the ‘07s were OK to drink now, but have a longer life ahead.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been drinking my 2004s and like where they are. I bet they’d be good at 20 or 25 years but as good as they are now, I doubt they’ll last that long.

Just a data point but the '11 Ovello I opened yesterday was tight as a clam. Acid was very robust, and I like tart wines, but this took 4-5hrs to open and never really was very giving. Maybe warmer crus like Rabaja and Asili are doing better

I’m with Rory. Opened a 2011 Produttori Pora a few months ago, and wished I hadn’t. tight and unyielding, even after a 5hr double-decant. will leave the rest of the case for 5 yrs, I think.

I tried an 07 Ovello recently, and this wasn’t ready on day 1 at all for my tastes. I froze the bottom half of the bottle for a couple of days (my version of a coravin, works very well for young wines), and viola, it was terrific on “day 2”. Not sure what this says about the aging arc, but I’ll leave my 07s asleep a while longer.

Meanwhile, it that other recent Barolo & Barbaresco thread, Kevin Harvey was claiming 2011 Produttori wines we’re past their best.

Go figure.

A matter of taste and/or experience, presumably.

I am definitely a card carrying member of the this-is-probably-too-young camp.

Hey, talk to Aldo. He’s definitely in the 8-12 years of age category. And he basically grew up in Ovello (although he is a winemaker, and these folks like their wines young). The 07 Asili and Rabaja we had recently were fine, but in the don’t wait too long category.

I would personally give the 2011’s a little longer, although I thought the 2 Asili’s I’ve had this fall have shown really well. I think the 20-25-30 year idea with Produttori may be more applicable to Aldo’s father’s wines than the current wines.

Any thoughts on what a good time to drink a bottle of 2005 Montefico? I’ve got a single bottle of this and have little experience with Barbaresco.

FWIW, 2005 Ovello was singing last year.

I just recently had an 05 Asili that was lovely. About 2 hrs of air should do the trick (but expect the fruit to still be slightly primary)

In my experience, the 05s Produttori’s might be in the best place for current consumption of any vintage from 2000-2009 (caveats: I haven’t touched the 2010s and younger yet, and never tried the 02s or 03s).

It may run contrary to others’ experiences and palate preferences (to say nothing of Aldo’s), but I’m still finding the 00s, 01s and 04s will do better with more cellar time.

Had a 2004 Rabaja in September. It was wonderful.

I went long on the 07’s since it was my daughter’s birth year. Bought them on pre-sale from Zachy’s and collected them the moment they came to US (used to live in Zachy’s neighborhood.) Stored at 52, winter temp get to low 40’s for few months.

Opened 2007 Rabaja today. Decanted for 1/2 hour and put it back into bottle. Elegant, parfumed wine dominate by dark cherry and sweet fruit with medium acidity carrying it thru to a tannic finish. Best would be to decant it for few hours as it was gaining in body and opening up with time. Plenty of life left, from my very cold cellar this should peak in 5 to 10 years.

Thanks Leo. I also went long on the 2007s.