TN 2005 Hudelot-Noellat VR “Beaumonts”??

2005 Hudelot-Noellat VR “Beaumonts”

Still very primary with tons of higher register red fruits - especially cherry and not much more…

I texted a friend, asking them if they ever had an outstanding bottle of Beaumonts because I really hadn’t. I even mentioned that if given blind then I’d never of thought VR because there wasn’t any signature spice. Never would’ve considered ’05 either for that matter.

We enjoyed it with dinner and as the night went on the finish lengthened. We own 4-5 more bottles and decided to hold for at least 5 years.

This morning, when removing the cork from the corkscrew, I actually read it. [snort.gif] Low and behold the cork was for an ’05 CM “Charmes”. That vineyard matches the experience!! Now, I’m tempted to cut some foils…

IMG_8041.jpg

Interesting - I quite like the HN Beaumonts and often prefer it to the Malconsorts. Had this and the '05 Malconsorts side by side last year, and they were both discernably Vosne in character though really really young still. Consensus was they were definitely 1ers rather than GCs (blind) so interesting that in '05 these aren’t performing “at the next level”. I don’t recall anything odd about the corks but will keep an eye out.

Probably a label mistake… these things happen and I trust the cork more because they put it while bottling whereas the label is often put just before shipping.

That would be my take on it as well

Yes, but they also sometimes run short of corks. Most often it’s just a different vintage on the cork, but sometimes a different wine. I find beaumonts one of the VR’s with less of an obvious VR spice note to it.

Bought 6 on release from the same source and have 4 left, which means we popped a bottle at some point previously. Probably close to release. Don’t remember it all. Do recall drinking both Suchots and Malconsorts from '05 on several occasions and all showings were clearly Vosne. Read a handful of reviews today of both '05 Charmes and Beaumonts and I’m leaning towards Charmes. Burghound’s review of the Charmes after release was really close to what we had last night.

“Tasting note: A superbly elegant red berry fruit nose, especially cherry and raspberry, that complement perfectly the supple, round and relatively easy middle weight flavors supported by dusty tannins and subtle minerality on the precise, punch, long and intense finish. The complexity however is limited as this is largely a fruit-driven wine at present, no matter how pretty.” BH '07

Most reviews on the Beaumonts comment on the dark fruit and neither of us noticed any.

I’ve liked HN soon after I discovered Burgundy and I count the '01 RSV as one of my most memorable bottles including this night, but haven’t experienced or owned many bottles of HN Beaumonts or Charmes. Gonna pop an '08 Charmes tonight for fun…

Fun stuff! Wonder if H-N has ever mislabeled their RSV or Richebourg as Beaumonts :slight_smile:?

Cannot comment on the question label/cork, both is possible, but generally 2005 is a vintage not very expressive and giving at the moment,
too young and in need of at least 5-7 more years imo.

The 2004 is quite breathtakingly beautiful.