When your partner/SO goes dumpster diving in “your” cellar . . . .

So I’m in the office today catching up on business after being out of town for several days. My partner, and a very good friend, stumbles in around 3 PM, looking ragged, with a sheepish look on his face. I have a mea culpa he says. “I raided your wine fridge at the end of a very rough Friday night.” And it must have been rough as he still looks bad. My first inclination is to laugh. And I did. My second was an “oh shit” moment, I have Juge, Allemand and Jamet in there! He said don’t worry I’ll pay whatever, which of course I’d never make him do, but did ask, so what was it. He says I don’t know, some Rhone, “I figured a Cote du rhone wouldn’t be too expensive.” Now I’m worried, that could be any of my goodies. He goes back to his office to pull it out of the trash, and it’s the 2016 Pax Hillside syrah. The funny part is, he has a Cali-palate, and other than Ridge, that’s the only Cali wine in my fridge. The label is Rhone-ish. He said he loved it, and I told him he better, the tasting note bingo champion, Galloni, gave it a hunge points.

I did not ask why there was wine on his wall as well. Some things are better left unknown . . . .

So, any good stories of similar note?

Far too many…

Came home to see a Dunn Howell Mtn. sitting on counter, dad opened it, same with a 2006 SQN. Multiple times have woke up to a 1.5L or 3L with a glass missing sitting on counter Sunday morning, only to realize I went to bed to hit an early tee time and wife and friends opened a large format cause it looked cool and unceremoniously left without drinking it…this spawned the house rule, open whatever you want, but if it’s a mag or larger you stay til it’s gone and Uber home, I don’t care how shitty you feel the next day.

Sure I will think of more, but reality is I don’t care as long as it’s not wasted.

Multiple threads on this. Frankly, I mostly don’t care either, except when it’s 5-10 years short of being enjoyably mature, and, yes, it should be enjoyed and shared. In my house there are 2-3 boxes of totally “safe” wine. These days, we are so totally connected that it’s no longer much of a problem. I do get a lot of texts during late afternoon patient visits and evening meetings. thankfully I know roughly where everything is in the cellar, so I can give directions from a distance.

I was supposed to set aside a bottle for my wife to open one night she had some charity committee people over. I sort of did, but the bottle was not obvious. Anyway, they all drank some really nice wine, and none of them appreciated it.

Similarly, we had friends over for the Super Bowl last year. One of the guests brought her older brother. He is more of a Coke-and-Whiskey drinker. I had pulled some whiskey for making cocktails. I wasn’t paying attention, and they finished the bottle I had set out. So he found some other bottle of Bourbon, and made a big-ass drink. It was probably a $50 cocktail.

Uh, WHY would you have wine in your office?? (and second, why and how would the company you work for allow this?)

I have a box of “daily” wine that my SO knows has wines she can use that I am not “emotionally invested” in. I ordered stickers off amazon, and put a “silver” sticker on anything < $30 that is free to use as need (e.g., Cotes du Rhone, Bourgogne, Langhe). I put a gold sticker on more expensive bottles (e.g., that are OK to be used as gifts or consumed when something ‘better’ is required. Stickers are in the box, so as I get stuff that goes into the box, I just sticker them up.

Eh, because I’m an owner? :wink:

You should see the Scotch selection…

My wife has free reign, way cheaper than divorce. Everyone else has guard rails, that usually force you to finish anything opened which is a great deterrent except for a couple degenerates who get the “only open something on this rack.”

Lawyers and distributors have the same office practices…plenty of wine and spirits around the office, only difference is distributors have more integrity. [cheers.gif]

A friend of mine had his brother open two bottles of 1962 Romanee Conti to go with BBQ when he was out of town… He shrugged. I would have been a little more angry.

I’m outraged!

I sort of get the philosophy behind this (“you break it you own it or something “) but, but, why forego the pleasure of seeing how the wine is one or two days later? With a lot of wines that’s part of the fun.

Also because drunk clients might give one more work.

Why would anyone want to work for a company that doesn’t allow this?

The only time any of my partners objected to my wine in the office was when I ran out of room everywhere else and stashed a few cases in his office.

My wife and two of her friends drank 6 bottles of
2002 Shafer Hillside Select. She just saw the Shafer and apparently kept grabbing them since she knew where they were in the cellar.
The only bummer was I never got to taste the 2002.
I’m ok with her grabbing the wrong bottles every so often.

This does not sound like dumpster diving. It sounds like treasure hunting.

If the bottles are in the office it is free game!

That’s a good one. Having booze on the job would be terms for termination for many places.

Indeed!

Good Freudian slip there