Bourboulenc Questions

Bourboulenc is not a common grape variety but is blended into a few Rhone Valley wines. My curiosity had me include a wine from this white grape when I placed an online order for a mixed half case. My basic questions are what temperature should this be served at and what food will go with it? Is it a quaffer or does it really need a food foil?

I can’t really be of help but am really interested to see if any responses come as I just bought a 100% Bourboulenc myself, Domaine Supply-Royer Mont Baudile Le Bourboulenc de Nega Saumas from the Languedoc. I’ve understood it should be on the heavier side and as such I am expecting it to show best at somewhat higher temperatures.

I think your tasting note will be the first public data point, so get to work! [cheers.gif]

I will be interested in your tasting impressions when you have a chance to try it. Mine are in transit and they were produced by Alice and Olivier De Moor from purchased grapes in Tavel. As you said I’m expecting a full bodied white that should be served just below room temperature but I was not really sure as this will be my first bourboulenc.

Well likewise! I am very much impressed by what De Moor is doing in Burgundy.

IikkaL - The other wines in the shipment are in fact De Moor Chablis’. Back to bourboulenc, and noticing your avatar, I think this wine is going to be unlike any other which is what Lopez de Heredia’s Gravonia did for me.

Hope so! That said my expectations are more of the “more likely to be interesting rather than great” kind.

Did you check out the cellartracker notes?

Peter - Yes I did. From the Rhone region there are few to go by as most are blends with grenache blanc & roussanne.

IlkkaL - I’m pretty sure that the De Moor bourboulenc grapes are sourced from Domaine Supply-Royer. Should be an interesting comparison with your wine.

Damn, we should really taste these wines side by side then. Let me know if you are coming to Helsinki anytime soon. champagne.gif